BOAT INSURANCE

Vantoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all,<br />I have a question and would like some input. I just bought a 1985 16 ft ebbtide with a 1979 70 hp Evinrude outboard. I went to get insurance and agent told me the if there were a claim, it would only pay $160.00 on the outboard. I told him I would buy all the 70 hp Evinrude outboards he could find for $160.00. I know it is an old engine but I could not replace it for that. Plus he said they would only pay $180.00 for the trailor and aronund $1700.00 for the boat. Any suggestions? thanks, Rick

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: BOAT INSURANCE

Simple, find another insurance agent ! Talk to your homeowners carrier, progressive, united marine underwriters, etc. Shop for insurance untill you find something reasonable. Do NOT give your SS # or give them permission to check your credit rating untill you have narrowed things down (too many inquaries will lower your credit rating).

Vantoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by waterone1:<br /> Simple, find another insurance agent ! Talk to your homeowners carrier, progressive, united marine underwriters, etc. Shop for insurance untill you find something reasonable. Do NOT give your SS # or give them permission to check your credit rating untill you have narrowed things down (too many inquaries will lower your credit rating).
Yea, that was my homeowner carrier. The point was, why carry full coverage when they wont pay what the boat is worth. Maybe I can get what they call agreed value insurance on the boat. Thanks for the reply and advice.

Braxton

Chief Petty Officer

boatus will give you different options try them

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

All of my boats are insured for declared value or the survey amount. No surprises in the event of damage or total loss. Some are insured through my home policy, Others through marine carriers.<br /><br />A friend recently tore the leg off his I/O on a 15 year old boat insured for $9K and the insurance co. replaced with a brand new one ($6K). There are good no-nonsense carriers out there.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boat topic