boat has not been run in 7 years, pics inside

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: boat has not been run in 7 years, pics inside

I have found there is more labor involved on these engines then I originally thought. If there is no spark try unhooking the engine kill wire ( orange, its in the middle on the right side), ground the plugs, turn key on, activate starter and check for spark.

just to give you some heads up do a compression check first, make sure all cyl's are good before you spend money on electrical parts.

cdi has good troubleshooting instructions and quality but list price seems to be pretty exorbitant ,:eek: example:

stator $150.00
trigger $90.00
switchbox $200.00

you could be into this thing for $500.00 in a snap on sparky so troubleshooting is well worth the effort.

like all 70's vintage outboard engines now you can almost be certain the seals and anything made of rubber will be in question but once its all inspected and/or changed you will have a once again reliable merc.:)

srt4bad

Cadet

ok , my next step is to check compression. I have to wait a few days for a buddy to get back in town. he has a gizmo to check the compression. then if it good, i will install bolts on motor bracket and go from there on rewireing the motor.

srt4bad

Cadet
Re: boat has not ben run in 7 years

Re: boat has not ben run in 7 years

For what it's worth, the plate in your photos states a max of 50 hp.

you are correct. while is was learning about my boat, (research on this site:D) it has this boat listed for a max of 40 hp. that is why I took a close up of the plate! that and I like taken pictures. lol ;)

HAS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SRT4BAD
When you check the compression on your engine if the lowest cylinders compression is lower than the other three the lower crankshaft seals are probably bad. To my understanding there is exhaust pressure and water below the seals and vacuum above the seals which probably draws in moisture past the seals and into the lower cylinder causing damage to the rings and cylinder wall. I may be wrong about the pressure and vacuum part but compression on the lower cylinder of my engine was a little lower than the others. I talked to a mercury mechanic and he said the lower crankshaft seals were bad. I replaced them and it made a world of difference in the smoothest of the engine If the compression on the lower cylinder is less then the others you may want to have the Mercury dealer replace the seals because the power head has to be removed. Good Luck...... HAS

PENN YAN

Recruit

if you try stating it it might lock up and the engine could blow up

HAS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SRT4BAD
When you check the compression on your engine if the lowest cylinders compression is lower than the other three the lower crankshaft seals are probably bad. To my understanding there is exhaust pressure and water below the seals and vacuum above the seals which probably draws in moisture past the seals and into the lower cylinder causing damage to the rings and cylinder wall. I may be wrong about the pressure and vacuum part but compression on the lower cylinder of my engine was a little lower than the others. I talked to a mercury mechanic and he said the lower crankshaft seals were bad. I replaced them and it made a world of difference in the smoothest of the engine If the compression on the lower cylinder is less then the others you may want to have the Mercury dealer replace the seals because the power head has to be removed. Good Luck...... HAS