Boat garage ideas

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Boat garage ideas

I'm thinking a 24 x32 with two 9' high doors on the 24' side.

No good, as you will have a big beam in the middle of the doors.
Do a 9 high by 16 double fiberglass insulated door (NO ALUMINUM cheaper...), 12 inch header..trust me, I built mine for an original boat and RV storage..was going to be a second house/retreat, but decided to live hear year round)and that middle beam will be a headache..32 deep will give ya plenty of room to maneuver..
PS..plan on a 220v system (heat, welders, big A/C), and outlets (110) every 6 feet (the more, the marrier..I also have (mine are 4 feet on the wall)..another set..every 4 feet, that run along the loft..all ya gotta do is reach up or over anywhere..one starring at ya, ...then insulate, and rock it...paint bright white. And LOTs of lights...I have 14 double Fluorescents (get the new 32 watt ones)..4 above the bike work area at 12 feet, rest over the benches..

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Man...that storage shed is beautiful! I wish I had the space to have one of them.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

with a staircase to the attic for additional storage.

Well, better check the fire codes/habitable thing. Ya need an out.
Out here in the PNW, shops are better than most houses elsewhere. Any 2 story here has an outside stairs..(build the spiral or what ever after the inspectors go get money off someone else for taxes..)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

No good, as you will have a big beam in the middle of the doors.
Do a 9 high by 16 double fiberglass insulated door (NO ALUMINUM cheaper...), 12 inch header..trust me, I built mine for an original boat and RV storage..was going to be a second house/retreat, but decided to live hear year round)and that middle beam will be a headache..32 deep will give ya plenty of room to maneuver..
PS..plan on a 220v system (heat, welders, big A/C), and outlets (110) every 6 feet (the more, the marrier..I also have (mine are 4 feet on the wall)..another set..every 4 feet, that run along the loft..all ya gotta do is reach up or over anywhere..one starring at ya, ...then insulate, and rock it...paint bright white. And LOTs of lights...I have 14 double Fluorescents (get the new 32 watt ones)..4 above the bike work area at 12 feet, rest over the benches..

I like the single door too. But there will still be two or three posts inside to support the 24' ceiling beams.

To build with no center posts, the floor load chart I looked at indicated that a 16" tall I joist would be needed if mounted 16" on center for a 40lb live load floor! Holly Cow! Thats gonna add up fast! But I really hate having posts in garages, and I also hate flexing/bouncy floors!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I like the single door too. But there will still be two or three posts inside to support the 24' ceiling beams.

To build with no center posts, the floor load chart I looked at indicated that a 16" tall I joist would be needed if mounted 16" on center for a 40lb live load floor! Holly Cow! Thats gonna add up fast! But I really hate having posts in garages, and I also hate flexing/bouncy floors!

OK, see where yer at here...I'm a Truss, no second, so little roof weight. Gotta do what ya gotta do.
Have fun playing with it. It 's just too much fun building a shop from scratch!

Cptkid570

Ensign

I just wanted to echo what Erik said and say that I've made my trailer tongue removable to help the boat fit into my garage.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Mark,

Before you decide about the posts, consult a truss engineer. If you have trusses made, you will not need the 16" I beams. My 24' shed has no posts, and the trusses use 2 x 10. Still has 12 feet of space between the uprights upstairs. I have the trusses 16" on center, they would have passed code at 24", but like you I was afraid of floor flex. I think it $3,500 for 23 trusses. The middle trusses (not the gable ends) look like this:

Attachments

• truss.pdf
    2.7 KB · Views: 0

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Campylobacter,

Thanks for the truss suggestion. I didn't realize that they made trusses that had open floor space. I always think of them as big X or K type members that you have to crawl through like a Jungle Gym.

I just called the local lumber yard, and they said to give them the dimensions, (span, roof pitch and open storage/living space) and they will supply the truss. Good to know.

Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

another, point on trusses. being a contractor, i have used trusses the yard had built for a project, that were either wrong for the project, or the project ever finished. as them if they have any miss cuts, or left overs. they will give you a really good deal to get the out of their yard, usually just the cost of the material. then design you building around the size of the truss.