boat fills w/ H2O thru or around the drain plug?!

adam246

Cadet
My "new" boat - '74 welded alum. Fisher Bass Bateau w/ 18 hp Evinrude - seems to leak either THRU the plug (regardless of using new "snap-fit" kind or "T-handle" screw-in kind) or right around the drain hole itself. I can see no crack/pinholes around the drain hole from either under the hull or on the transom end itself. What's up?!? Other boats I've been in seemed to take on "token" amts. of water but not as much as this - 2 people sitting at rest fishing shouldn't have to start up the engine and open up the thottle once an hour to drain the boat! A. Is this normal? B. How could I isolate what seems to be a leak? C. How would I make it stop? <br />Part of me wants to just cake JB Weld or the like all around the drain hole on the inside but then I'm left w/ trying to remove it if it doesn't work! Squirt silicone caulking all around it and hope for the best?!?!

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: boat fills w/ H2O thru or around the drain plug?!

No this is not normal. But before we can fix it we need to locate the problem. You do not seem to sure as to where the water comes from. Keep in mind that where the plug is located is the lowest part of the boat so if the water is coming in elsewhere it will pool here. Are you sure this is the source of the leak.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

Hey, try pulling the boat out of the water and putting the plug in, then fill the bilge with water so it covers the drain hole. In theory water should leak out of the boat from where the leak is.. This should help you pinpoint the problem... Let us know what happens<br /><br />Tallman

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The quickest way to find the leak is to put 4-5" of water on the inside with the transom plug in. Where it is weeping out is where it should be weeping in. If it is around the hole that the drain plug goes in take some 3M 5200 sealer and caulk where it is leaking.