boat fiberglas bottom suppose to be shiny and new?

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer
Is the fiberglass bottom of the boat suppose to be shiny and new? Does the fiberglass look/consistency differ on the bottom compared to the the sides/deck of a fiberglass boat?

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: boat fiberglas bottom suppose to be shiny and new?

Could have been bottom painted that was later removed, leaving a less than shinny surface.since it was prepped for the paint. Or it could be a sign of repairrs????? Ike

Nandy

Commander

Out of the dealer the bottom should be as shiny as the rest of the boat. However, just because is the bottom and hard to reach, owners might not put as much energy cleaning it as the rest, more accessible, parts of the boat... Plus, if you add beaching, rocks from the road, a rock here and there, unsuspected shoals, and such, the bottom of the boat is what gets more abuse...

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Did you get a boat?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

pictures, man, pictures!!!!!!!

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

No, I didn't get the boat. I believe the boat I went to see was wrecked by coming onto land along it's starboard side. The starboard side had a "bondo/clay" look to it all along the bottom. When I looked very close, I could see little holes about the size of sand on the surface. I think this is when the clay/bondo chipped. I went over to look at the port side and it looks different than the starboard side. I glided my hand on the bondo surface and it was not smooth. I continued to tap on the bondo w/ my knuckles and it made a different sound from the rest of the fiberglass. I pointed to one spot right at the keel about 3" by 5" in size. It was "tan" in colored and stood out like a sore thumb if you know where to look. I pointed this out to the owner and said "what happened here". He acknowledge that it looked different in color from the rest of the boat. His response was "I don't know". I said "What do you mean, you don't know. This is a one owner boat." He had no response.

I was dissapointed as heck at this point. However, I continue to check the rest of the boat as I already drove 3.5 hours. If anything, it will give me clues on what to look for/compare on the next boat. Everything else looked fine. I took it out on the river and the wind was probably blowing ~30-40mph. The boat did not ride as nice as I'd hoped. My buddy was sitting at the back and got all wet somehow? Then I find out the speedometer doesn't work. I specifically asked him if "everything is in working order" numerous time and he said "YES". As we're riding over the waves, I noticed that the gauges (battery, fuel) were jumping around. Is this normal? At this point, I'm thinking "Great, this boat as electrical problem as well". Though, he did point out that the boat died once while crusing as a relay went out all of a sudden. We ended the test ride after half hour. One thing I noticed was that he was having the most difficult time trying to get the boat onto the trailer. I don't know if it was the wind or what? When he approached the trailer, the boat would not glide in straight and he ended up going out and coming in again. This lasted for like 10 minutes. I had enough fun for one day and just left...The search continues.

P/S: I think most people would have bought this boat as on surface was in good condition besides the bad speedo. However, I've been burned before and if I don't feel 100% confident, I'd pass. Even after driving 3.5 hours. Just goes to show you people will lie straight to your face when you confront them. I guess he was hoping I wouldn't inspect the boat so closely. He was mistaken and had to tow his boat 11 hours back to Reno. So any Reno iboaters watch out for a White/Black '05 Larson 208.

Nandy

Commander

Ha, ha!!! He got caught lying! Im sorry about your long trip, but heck, his is longer... I know a lot of gas gauges will jump around some as the gas is moving, however, we are not talking going from full to half tank... Electric gauges should not jump much if any...

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I pointed to one spot right at the keel about 3" by 5" in size. It was "tan" in colored and stood out like a sore thumb if you know where to look.

This is enough of a reason to have not bought the boat. It seems you are right there was some contact with something that wasn't properly repaired.

The boat did not ride as nice as I'd hoped.

If the wind was really 30-40mph then the waves would have been large. A boat does not ride like a car. If you were pounding over 3ft waves...especially choppy waves no boat would be "smooth".

My buddy was sitting at the back and got all wet somehow?

It is pretty typical to get a lot of spray if it is rough and windy. How and who get wet depends a lot on the direction of the wind and travel. Getting wet when sitting in the back of the boat seems pretty typical.

Then I find out the speedometer doesn't work.

It isn't all that abnormal for a pitot tube speedo to not work. It could have simply had a weed or something stuck on it. Also, if pounding over waves it could have come out of the water and that can cause them to work a little funny sometimes.

As we're riding over the waves, I noticed that the auges (battery, fuel) were jumping around. Is this normal?

Fuel gages are never all that accurate. In rough water they are even worse. How much was the voltage gage jumping. A little wiggle in the needle while going over waves could be very normal. If it was jumping a lot then it could have been something wrong...a loose wire maybe.

One thing I noticed was that he was having the most difficult time trying to get the boat onto the trailer. I don't know if it was the wind or what?

In wind and rough water it can be really tricky to get a boat on a trailer. In many case it is best to just crank the boat up on the trailer and not rely on getting the boat straight on the trailer using the motor.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

The speedo didn't work for the entire test ride. The gas gauge jumped from full to 1/2 intermittently. The battery probably jumped about 25% of travel.

H8tank

Petty Officer 2nd Class

However, I've been burned before

Which boat was that?

If I were you, I'd go buy a seadoo.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

That sucks, it is good that you walked away. That bondo could have been hiding some real structural damage.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sorry, we thought that was the right boat.