Boat engine hatch coring

Galvez83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Folks i need some input regarding re-coring the floor hatch that covers the engine. My boat is a new to me 2000 Four Winns 238 Vista that has a a bad wood core (springy and soggy) engine cover. I am looking to start soon by gutting the core after i have the info on how to proceed with it. I currently have fiberglass resin 1 gal left over from another project, mekp, biaxial mat, and chopped mat roll. The main question would be on gluing the new wood to the bottom of the hatch. I have used PL adhesive for tramson but i am unaware if it can be uses for this due to people walking on top of it. Please advise if possible.

Last edited:

Galvez83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Scott i searched into corebond and its very expensive. Is poly peanut butter or PL adhesive a reasonable alternative, taking into account people walking on it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
PL isnt going to cut it. it wont cut it on your transom

if you mix a big batch of PB and make it a bit loose, about the consistency of yogurt, you can use that. but keep in mind, the bigger the batch, the less working time you have as it will kick faster.

you will need to spread it with a tile trowel. buttering both pieces. then mating them up and getting all your clamps in place.

hence the reason i say, use corebond. you have a longer working time

Galvez83

Petty Officer 1st Class
PL isnt going to cut it. it wont cut it on your transom

if you mix a big batch of PB and make it a bit loose, about the consistency of yogurt, you can use that. but keep in mind, the bigger the batch, the less working time you have as it will kick faster.

you will need to spread it with a tile trowel. buttering both pieces. then mating them up and getting all your clamps in place.

hence the reason i say, use corebond. you have a longer working time
Scott, what material would you recomend? I was going with marine plywood but i kept hearing of foam core but due to bolting hardware i felt it was kind of sketchy. Originaly it had balsa. Coosa is overpriced to my liking.

Attachments

• 20220304_174845.jpg
    20220304_174845.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220304_163422.jpg
    20220304_163422.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I used alot of plywood. BCS, Acx, Cdx...exterior grade, not treated lumber. Like Scott says watch your working time on the PB.
There are any number of ways to clamp down the pc. after you mate them. Make sure you wet out all the ply both sides and especially the edges. Let that dry then get to install.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral

stormyj

Seaman Apprentice
Coosa board all the way. Yes it is more expensive, but you will never have any more problems with it. I used it on a swim platform and was extremely satisfied. Clean out the hatch, drill some holes about every 12" or so on the board, fill hatch with resin, place board on the resin, weight down with some blocks or whatever till set, glass over that, and paint. You will thank yourself later.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have a supply ( free from a nephew ) of hollow / light weight composite hockey sticks.----In my situation that is what I would use !-----Very , very strong when used with epoxy to put it all together

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I have a supply ( free from a nephew ) of hollow / light weight composite hockey sticks.----In my situation that is what I would use !-----Very , very strong when used with epoxy to put it all together
ok then. Keep us posted.