boat died yesterday checked everything. power pack?(SOLVED-it was the powerpack)

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
120Hp Johnson 1989(TLCEM). I checked everything per johnson service manual:check for spark and had nothing on all 4 cylinders, charge coil test(i got around 225V and 280 ohms), sensor coil test (around 3V, 140ohms starboard timer base and 45 ohms for the port timer base), ohm the primary side of the coil (5ohms) to ground and primary and secondary and got 280 ohms.

Next thing that i was going to do is check the output of the power pack to the coils since everything that goes into the power pack check fine but i am enable to do so. I'm not sure how does the DVA needs to be hooked up in order to read the voltage coming out of the powerpack going to each coil. I've tried with and without the power pack wire hooked up to the coil and the DVA grounded but got very low voltage (3VAC) in each case.

Is there anything else I could try and check?

I've also change on coil with a spare coil and there was no change.

Everything seems so weird because everything started yesterday when I was coming back home from crabbing, hit a big wake and had to slow down from cruising and motor just died. While on the water I was able to start it for a very brief time(2 sec). And the yesterday on muffs started for 30 sec, after numerous attempts, and died and nothing after. thanks for your help.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: boat died yesterday check everything. the power pack?

Check the "kill" switch and also the charge level of your battery/batteries.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

Check the "kill" switch and also the charge level of your battery/batteries.

I just tested and everything works. The key switch test shows continuity when the key is off and no continuity when the key is on. Battery is fully charged and was also on charge while testing.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Since you lost everything after hitting "a big wake" leads me to believe there is a bad connection somewhere. Are the battery connections clean and tight? Is there a main fuse that you can check, also loose ground wires, etc.?

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

Since you lost everything after hitting "a big wake" leads me to believe there is a bad connection somewhere. Are the battery connections clean and tight? Is there a main fuse that you can check, also loose ground wires, etc.?

I checked every fuse that i can think of and everything is fine... battery connections were cleaned and installed less that a week and since the starter is spinning and working fine is making me believe that battery might not be at fault.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

Followed the instructions below and everything checked out, except #3 where the stator reading should be around 500 ohms (according to the service manual)
whats next?

No Fire at All:

1. Disconnect the black yellow kill wire and retest. If the engines now has fire, the kill circuit has a fault-possibly the keyswitch, harness or shift switch.
2. Disconnect the yellow wires from the stator to the rectifier and retest. If the engine fires, replace the rectifier.
3. Check the stator resistance. You should read approximately 1000 ohms from the brown wire to the brown/yellow wire and 100 ohms from the orange to orange/black.
4. Check the DVA output from the stator. You should have a reading of at least 150V or more from the brown wire to the brown/yellow wire (while connected to the pack).
5. Check the timer base resistance from the white wire to the blue, green, pink and purple wires. Reading should be 38-42 ohms.
6. Check the DVA output from the timer base. A reading of at least 0.5V or more from the white wire to the blue, green, pink and purple wires (while connected to the pack) is needed to fire the pack.
7. Check the cranking RPM. A cranking speed of less than 250-RPM will not allow the system to fire properly.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: boat died yesterday checked everything.power pack?

i disconnected the black yellow wire (kill switch) and check for voltage. I had 8V DC from the key switch to the the amphenol connector, with or without the key in the on or off position. Then I disconnected the harness thinking that it might be a key switch problem but the voltage dropped to 4V DC. After I pulled the fuse in the red wire that connects the rectifier to the starting solenoid to the key switch the voltage went to 0V. so that was weird I didnt think that the black/yellow wire should have any voltage while the key was off. then I checked the rectifier side of the amphenol connector and crancked the motor and it showed 225V DC!!!

I also ohm ed the key switch to the ground with the key on and off and checked fine...

I was reading somewhere that maintenance free battery could damage the power pack is this true? at the moment i have a maintenance free battery installed...

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

one thing that I've noticed before the motor died is that earlier in the day the quick start wasn't working... when starting the motor it would not come out of quick start. initially i thought the temp switches might be bad but since the switches were changed last year this could be related to the pack, possibly.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

i disconnected the black yellow wire (kill switch) and check for voltage. I had 8V DC from the key switch to the the amphenol connector, with or without the key in the on or off position. Then I disconnected the harness thinking that it might be a key switch problem but the voltage dropped to 4V DC. After I pulled the fuse in the red wire that connects the rectifier to the starting solenoid to the key switch the voltage went to 0V. so that was weird I didnt think that the black/yellow wire should have any voltage while the key was off. then I checked the rectifier side of the amphenol connector and crancked the motor and it showed 225V DC!!!

I also ohm ed the key switch to the ground with the key on and off and checked fine...

what do you guys think of this????

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

it was the power pack.... once i changed it fired right up.... thank you for your help

88seville100

Seaman Apprentice
Re: boat died yesterday checked everything. power pack?(SOLVED-it was the powerpack)

I am having the exact same problem. I am only getting 2-3 volts while cranking from the orange power pack wires. But this is having on every cylinder.

Did you ever check your volts after you replaced the power pack?