Boat damaged during stay at repair shop

pontoon chic

Recruit
Hello!
I am looking for some feedback or advice from people that may have had a similar situation occur to them. In a nutshell here is what happened....Our pontoon boat what dropped off at a reputable marine shop for repairs. Once it was supposedly repaired, we were called to pick it up and we took the boat out for a weekend fishing trip and during the weekend boating trip the boat starting acting up again. Boat went right back to the repair shop and stayed there for 1 week to fix the issue again. When we went to pick up the pontoon boat the 2nd time, the dealership made things right and said everything fell under their warranty etc so boat was taken home. Boat was later driven to our covered storage unit and that is when the hubs discovered that all the seats had been damaged. We are not talking about the seats being slashed or cut, we are talking about puncture marks that are like in an asterisk like form. We thought long and hard and looked for anything we could find and nothing....the only thing that occurred in our city is that there was a hail storm during the boats stay at the repair shop. We are thinking that the boat may not have been properly stored and was left out in the elements. Dealership is telling us that they are not liable for anything and that we signed off on that when we dropped off the boat to get repaired. I just am flat out sick to my stomach to know that our boat seats are all ruined and no one is willing to help us out or even tell us anything about what happened to our boat while it was under their care. Has anyone had to deal with anything similar to this?? Any advice as to what we can do??

tpenfield

Staff member
These things happen . . .

Review any contractual terms stated on the repair paperwork.

Notify your insurance company of the damage while the boat was in for repair. Find out the repair shop's insurance company, if you can. Let the insurance company fight it out with the repair shop.

The challenge will be the fact that the damage was not noticed until after the boat was picked up from the shop.

roffey

Commander
I agree 100% with Ted.
Your text reads like it was a new boat. You must be very frustrated, I sure would be.