Boat cover for a tri-hull

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm sure this is a really stupid question, but I haven't been able to find a real answer any where else. I have a 1966 Starcraft Explorer Deluxe. It's a 14'8" (without motor) tri-hull with a rounded front end and a center console mounted steering. It has a 65" beam and a 15' 10" gunwale length (if that matters). I'm looking for an inexpensive cover. I mainly want to keep the elements out, while not covering it with a tarp and pissing off the neighbors. lol.

Do I need a cover sized for a tri-hull, or do the v-hull and tri-hull covers fit pretty much the same? Has anyone had any luck with covers through Walmart? Anyone know where I can get a decent cover that's not too expensive. This boat is still kind of a project and I'm not ready to spend too much on a cover.

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Boat cover for a tri-hull

Here is a picture if that helps.
1374779_705265679501491_1194922526_n.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You could probably get by with a cover for a Jon boat and then match your dimensions.

Wallyworld sells cheap covers but I would also recommend using a poly tarp along with it. I guess it really depends on your weather. Here in the Northeast a cheap cover will work "during" the season however as an all year round cover ......it would deteriorate fast.

Since it's a "project" you will probably get by with cheap and when the boat status changes from project to regular use..... I would suggest spending the money and getting one made. Just about any awning shop can make one for you out of sunbrella material which will last.

The heck with what the jealous neighbor's say or think!

Wallyworld sells cheap covers but I would also recommend using a poly tarp along with it.!

I used to use those wallyworld covers.... In yet another case of "you get what you pay for" the sun will ruin them in a couple of years. And if you go that route a tarp along with the cover is a good idea, because "you get what you pay for".

Last edited:

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Right on. Thanks guys. I'm in California so the weather is usually pretty mild. I mostly want to keep the majority of the rain and leaves out. I think I may go with the cheap one for now and upgrade next year.

Thanks again.