Boat construction question for tank removal

Cplsteve

Cadet
I have a 2001 Flats and Bay 18x8. I had to replace the fuel tank due to age and leaks. The boat had a removable panel to get to the tank but it was not wide enough to remove the old tank and I had to do a little extra cutting. My question is what is the best way to replace or fix the area where the removable panel was? The gaps on the sides where I had to cut are about 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide.

Cplsteve

Cadet
In the first picture is the gap of extra deaf that was removed. The red outline is where the console sits. The second picture shows in red where the lip use to be for the panel to sit down on the deck and be screwed down. The blue outline shows the lip that’s left on the front and rear. Do I make this one complete deck and glass over the gaps or should I leave it with the removable panel? If so how can I secure it back down and have it stable enough to support the console as well?

IMG_2105.jpeg
IMG_2104.jpeg

tpenfield

Staff member
Sure looks like that tank would have come out if you lifted one side first and raised it in a tilted fashion. :unsure:

still got the flange piece?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Just seems to me for a combustion opportunity.

Ignition Protection - Electrical components must be ignition protected if they are in a compartment with a gasoline engine or fuel tank. Inspectors will look for proof in the form of labeling. If the component is not labeled, the inspector generally will accept a statement in the manufacturer's catalog.

United States Coast Guard Requirements for Recreational Boats

www.bluesea.com/resources/120
www.bluesea.com/resources/120

Cplsteve

Cadet
Sure looks like that tank would have come out if you lifted one side first and raised it in a tilted fashion. :unsure:

still got the flange piece?
No I don’t have the flange piece. I tried to tilt it out also, but with the way the tank and boat are it wouldn’t fit. Trust me my last option was to have to do any cutting.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ok I had the same problem, seems covers like that hatch type fail all the time.
I put in a new deck without a hatch access. Just didn't want to do this again.
Take accurate measurements for future use if occasion needs to access whole tank.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Personally, I'd try to save the hatch. You might need access to all that wiring at some point. Can you cut a piece of wood to match the original and glass it in? That does seem like a lot of wiring to be next to a gas tank by the way!

Cplsteve

Cadet
Personally, I'd try to save the hatch. You might need access to all that wiring at some point. Can you cut a piece of wood to match the original and glass it in? That does seem like a lot of wiring to be next to a gas tank by the way!
All the wiring is what goes up to the console for the nav lights, pumps, chargers, and the steering hoses as well as motor harness. So the part I’m really confused about is how do I support the hatch so it can be secured to the deck?

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Could you maybe put a few "L" shaped brackets for the new piece to rest on?