Boat choice

wingman74

Cadet
Which would be a better wake boat. No a serious wakeboarder but just wants a decent wake. A 94 ski nautique or a 98 moomba mobius ? Never been in either one, but have these to chose from with my budget.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The ski nautique is a ski boat, not a wake boat

The moomba is also a ski boat, however you can add bladders and get a bit of a wake. Just don't add too much

If your desire is wake, then the moomba

Scott06

Admiral
i have also found a 93 master craft prostar 205
That's another direct drive (engine in the center of boat) vs V drive (engine in rear of boat) Direct drive is design for skiing. I assume you are trying to find a way to get wake boarding without having to win the lottery.

Here are a couple of videos doing just that that may be helpful in figuring out what boats may work and what you have to do to make them work for wake board or surf

this one may be best to detail what you want to do

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
They can both be made to be a decent wake boat. Ballast etc. wake gates and all that.
Just make sure that’s almost exclusively what you want the boat for though. Boats like these are amazing for it…but there are compromises made in terms of other uses for sure. If you’ve never had a shaft drive boat…take a bit of getting used to how they handle in terms of docking etc. very biased to one side with prop walk astern. Absolutely fine..as long as you are aware of it and get used to it. I’ve witnessed some guys that aren’t, not being able to get away from a jetty in a river, because of this 😂

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'd guess a garden variety I/O woukd make a better wakeboard boat than a ski boat would. A ski boat us the oposite of a wake boat. A ski boat is designed to keave smooth water behind it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'd guess a garden variety I/O woukd make a better wakeboard boat than a ski boat would. A ski boat us the oposite of a wake boat. A ski boat is designed to keave smooth water behind it.
Wakeboard boats have forward drives so you don't plant your face into the prop

I/Os have a safety issue when wake boarding

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
That’s true…when at a certain speed…but when they are running slower, their wide flat profile at the rear of the hull…also makes a huge hole in the water, to produce a fair old wake size. Wake surfing speed in particular. Modern models in the last decade from the big brands out there, do boarding, surfing and skiing very very well. Even an old 70’s stars classic mastercraft will produce a fair wake when running at slower speeds, stern deep in the water. Only when they are running at 30+ skiing speeds on full plane..they make very little wake. These modern boats mostly differ only because they can be ballasted in a variety of options to suit. Wake gates fitted help too.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Wakeboard boats have forward drives so you don't plant your face into the prop

I/Os have a safety issue when wake boarding
Agree…although I’ve recently noticed some manufacturers of stern drives, trying to change things up…with their forward drive units. The props are on the forward end of the drive. Obviously that comes with a few compromises!