Boat buckles

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Just put a set of transom boat buckles on my trailer.
Very straight forward installation.
Quick and easy, and will make unhooking and hooking the boat back to the trailer a lot faster.
Also got one of the bow boat buckles. Be prepared to use your own bolt though. The one they supply is way to long to use.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat buckles

I have the Transom buckles as well and they are great. Takes less than 30 seconds to tie the boat down and less than 15 to release them.

I will have to look at the bow buckle. Never knew they had one.

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just use a 12 foot ratcheting tie down over the boat and to the trailer.

Is there any benefit to using the transom tie downs compared to regular old tie downs like I have?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Is there any benefit to using the transom tie downs compared to regular old tie downs like I have?
One hand operation.
Never lose a tie down are a couple that comes to mind.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

As I said.......
Takes less than 30 seconds to tie the boat down and less than 15 to release them.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

With Transom straps, the boat CAN'T come off the trailer because you're actually attaching the boat to the trailer. Over the top you're just squishing the boat down and relying on friction to keep it from slipping off.

Dave

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

I take it your talking about the retractable straps? If so, has anyone had problems with them after dunking them in the water for a year or so? Fresh water that is. Was wanting to get a set, but was concerned about that problem. Any certain brand that you would reccomend? Thanks.

SpinnerBait_Nut

I take it your talking about the retractable straps? If so, has anyone had problems with them after dunking them in the water for a year or so? Fresh water that is. Was wanting to get a set, but was concerned about that problem. Any certain brand that you would reccomend? Thanks.
Yes I am and the brand I got was Boat Buckle.
There is some knockoffs out there, but they are not the Boat Buckle brand.
Was told to spray them down with some lubricant ever month or so and there would be no problems. Depends on how much you launch etc.
I am fresh water only.
38582_5.gif

Right here.
http://www.iboats.com/Indiana_Marin...17811113--**********.042861508--view_id.38582

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

With Transom straps, the boat CAN'T come off the trailer because you're actually attaching the boat to the trailer. Over the top you're just squishing the boat down and relying on friction to keep it from slipping off.

You put an awful lot of faith into a 3/32" thick nylon strap of which I now broken two. The last one snapped when I cut the curb coming out my driveway one morning.

In order for my boat to slide off the trailer with my gunnel strap it would have to break a 5/16" thk. winch cable and a 3/16" link safety chain attached to the bow stop.

donnymac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I thought the transom straps were to keep the trailer attached to the boat

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

Couple more questions. As far as the stainless ones, are all the metal parts stainless or just the hook. Also how short will these go. I only have around 12 to 15 inches from the eyes on my transom to the center of the frame where these would mount. Thanks for you time on this. I just want to be sure it's what I want. I have had my eyes on these for a couple years now.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Couple more questions. As far as the stainless ones, are all the metal parts stainless or just the hook. Also how short will these go. I only have around 12 to 15 inches from the eyes on my transom to the center of the frame where these would mount. Thanks for you time on this. I just want to be sure it's what I want. I have had my eyes on these for a couple years now.

Not sure about the SS stuff but they will work at any length up to their max. I would guess mine are about 2 to 3 feet when attached.

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

You will be fine. When I take my boat off I attach the hooks to my guide on mounts to keep them out of the way. The total distance from hook to mount is 6 or 8 inches.
I put mine on a few weeks ago and they are so much easier than the old style. I can have them on or off in under 30 seconds.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Couple more questions. As far as the stainless ones, are all the metal parts stainless or just the hook.

My understanding is they have two G2 transom models; one for fresh water and one for salt. The salt water model is supposed to have corrosion-resisted parts throughout. I think their website is www.boatbuckle.com.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Like has been said, you will be fine.
When recoiled back they will be a max of 6", have not measured, but that will be close and they will work to their full pull, about 43".