Boat buckle tie down location

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
Want to install these new boat buckles on my trailer. Not sure if either location causes an issue. Need inputs please. Thank you

Attachments

• 20240312_182441.jpg
    20240312_182441.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20240312_182507.jpg
    20240312_182507.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 27
  • 20240312_182432.jpg
    20240312_182432.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 27

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Your second picture shows the strap rubbing on the trailer frame. I would avoid that. Too much wear on the strap.

My preference would be to install a SS eye bolt thru the frame and use detachable straps. I question how solid the "buckles" are, plus the mechanism can't last as long since it is submerged every time you launch and retrieve the boat.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Blew out a strap positioned similarly.

Ended up using a clevis thru the frame hooks and a gunnel strap over the top.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I thought transom tie-downs were designed to keep the boat from bouncing up and down on the trailer (i.e., to make the trailer and boat move as one object). The placement in the picture would not accomplish that as the boat could easily bounce around when hitting a bump. I'd want my transom straps as close to vertical as possible; I believe that is what Boat Buckles are designed for.

Also, as mentioned previously, in every case the strap is either rubbing against the boat or the trailer, which means will wear pretty quickly.

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
I thought transom tie-downs were designed to keep the boat from bouncing up and down on the trailer (i.e., to make the trailer and boat move as one object). The placement in the picture would not accomplish that as the boat could easily bounce around when hitting a bump. I'd want my transom straps as close to vertical as possible; I believe that is what Boat Buckles are designed for.

Also, as mentioned previously, in every case the strap is either rubbing against the boat or the trailer, which means will wear pretty quickly.
The problem is there is no beam at the end of the trailer (,other than the 1 that holds the rollers). I agree vertical would be best. The bracket that holds the tailight would be great but that's just a thin piece of bolt on metal not structural. I'd use a gun wale strap but my bimini top gets in the way there

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
If you zoom in you'll see the issue with the bimini top location. I guess I could thread a gun wale strap under the bimini top but it adds a degree of extra step to do that

Attachments

• 20231215_110138.jpg
    20231215_110138.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 12

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have a trailer setup similiar to what is shown and choose not to use these types of hold downs due to the issues shown. While many folks think they are great, I have spoke with a good number of them at our ramp, that were not happy with them due to failure from being submerged. I choosevto stay with my rachet straps and have no regrets.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
If you zoom in you'll see the issue with the bimini top location. I guess I could thread a gun wale strap under the bimini top but it adds a degree of extra step to do that

I don't think the Boat Buckles will work for you, then. When I installed mine, I thought the instructions said something about installing with 30 degrees of vertical. My BBs have worked great - I've probably used them for at least 5-6 years, but I don't think they'll work in your situation.

If it were my rig, I'd be running a strap under the bimini over the gunwales.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Of course, bouncing around needs to be avoided. But that's not the only purpose.

A well designed "system" includes both bow and transom tie downs. They must ensure that the boat cannot move forward OR back. On the bow, I'm not talking about a winch or a safety chain, but a true bow tie down.

Often transom straps end up angled like the ones in the picture above. It is what it is....the design of the trailer forces that to happen.

As a trailer boater that was rear ended at high speed while stopped at a traffic signal, and thus causing the boat to "bounce around" (understatement), I consider myself an authority on the subject.

Over the gunnel straps are useless because they don't address the forward or back movement.

Retractable straps are useless because you never know when they will fail because of constant submersion.

Ratchet straps are iffy. An unexpected force can cause the mechanism to fail.

The only transom tie downs I will put on my boat are quality buckle straps that are equipped with a sleeve to protect it from the boat's bottom, plus a cinch to constrain the buckle.

Anyone can say what's good or bad, but until a situation comes up where you really need them, you may never know.

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
Of course, bouncing around needs to be avoided. But that's not the only purpose.

A well designed "system" includes both bow and transom tie downs. They must ensure that the boat cannot move forward OR back. On the bow, I'm not talking about a winch or a safety chain, but a true bow tie down.

Often transom straps end up angled like the ones in the picture above. It is what it is....the design of the trailer forces that to happen.

As a trailer boater that was rear ended at high speed while stopped at a traffic signal, and thus causing the boat to "bounce around" (understatement), I consider myself an authority on the subject.

Over the gunnel straps are useless because they don't address the forward or back movement.

Retractable straps are useless because you never know when they will fail because of constant submersion.

The only transom tie downs I will put on my boat are quality buckle straps that are equipped with a sleeve to protect it from the boat's bottom, plus a cinch to constrain the buckle.

Anyone can say what's good or bad, but until a situation comes up where you really need them, you may never know.
Do you have a brand name and model of the straps you like for the transom? Or picture? I already installed a true bow tie down.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I mostly agree with what you say, but the location of the straps picture will do nothing to keep the boat from moving forward in the event of being rear-ended; if anything, the straps as shown in the pictures are pulling the boat toward the tow vehicle.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I mostly agree with what you say, but the location of the straps picture will do nothing to keep the boat from moving forward in the event of being rear-ended; if anything, the straps as shown in the pictures are pulling the boat toward the tow vehicle.
You are correct. They will only prevent the boat from moving back. The bow tie down needs to be angled toward the back to keep it from moving forward.