boat bottomed out 3 times

karatejoe

Seaman
Re: boat bottomed out 3 times

So far I have not heard anything good about jet drives. I like my boat ,I just dont like getting stuck to the point something serious may break.
I test drove the boat in Naples Bay by Gordons pass. Its 6 ft right at the ramp and gets deeper as you go and smooth water.
Wiggans pass is where im at. The pass is really rough but it gets better once your through. Shallow is the key word. They dreged it out last year but at low tide, its low.
A friend of mine said to keep my boat but go out at high tide and drive around searching out the deep and shallow spots in the canals and the pass and mapping them so to avoid the shallow spots in the future.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

So far I have not heard anything good about jet drives. I like my boat ,I just dont like getting stuck to the point something serious may break.
I test drove the boat in Naples Bay by Gordons pass. Its 6 ft right at the ramp and gets deeper as you go and smooth water.
Wiggans pass is where im at. The pass is really rough but it gets better once your through. Shallow is the key word. They dreged it out last year but at low tide, its low.
A friend of mine said to keep my boat but go out at high tide and drive around searching out the deep and shallow spots in the canals and the pass and mapping them so to avoid the shallow spots in the future.

That sounds like some really good advice. You said that there are bigger boats than yours making that run, and they seem to manage it. How far is the run from where you launch, to the Gulf?

karatejoe

Seaman

I took my tape measure out and measured my boat draft in the water. I then measured the prop distance with the 4 inches from my depth finder not being the lowest point, I need nothing less than 3' 2" of water to keep moving.
At low tide my canal gets to 1.9'. Unless a portion of it is deeper its not navigatable for me at low tide.
Since I put on my new prop Ive been to scared to drive it.
I guess I need to cowboy up and go out at high tide and navigate it and see the depths.
Boating was so much simpler with the 17 ' outboard. Tides meant nothing to me then.

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Because you haven't talked to anyone that has actually OWNED one...

Yes they have specific drawbacks and benefits, like ANY technology. As soon as someone says they are not maneuverable, ignore everything else to say. They haven't driven one.

Facts:
Jets are SOMEWHAT harder on fuel. Outboard jets are bad, 25-30%, inboard jets are substantially better.
Jets can run circles around a regular single screw boat, both in reverse and forward!
jets have brakes. I can slow down from 50 mph to dead stop in a couple boatlengths IF NEEDED.
Jets have far fewer maintenance items and are vastly easier to maintain. Fewer moving parts, no transmission, no shift gears, no clutches. Yes there are wear items, you need to redo the impeller &/or wear ring every so years, just as you have to things to an outboard.
No water pump to go out on you and kill your engine

i could go on, back to work though! :D

nlain

Commander

Where I live and boat I have to plan around low tide, I have my own ramp out the back yard, but I have to get out of the creek with at least 1/4 left, anything less and I cannot get out with my 185, so I plan to get when I have water and come back home when I have water, now with that said, in the summer time I sometimes have to try and beat the thunderstorms home, if it is low tide I have to drop anchor under the I95 bridge and wait it out, then when the water get up enough I go on home, what is really bad is that I am about 1.5 miles from the dock behind my house when I have to wait it out. Learn the water and lack of water where you are, learn the bottom, then plan around water depth or tides and keep a close check on the weather reports.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Or keep doing what you're doing, and charge the other boats in your marina a fee for dredging!

Seriously, talk to some of the other large boat owners and see what they do. There might be a deeper side.
Or you might have a high tide boat. I can't take my new boat (21') to my favorite place to fish and vacation so I kept the smaller boats for use up there. You can't have too many boats.

Also, never take the family on a maiden voyage.
I know you're disappointed but you may be able to make it work.

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just took a look at Wiggans Pass on Google Earth. In that view there are several boats traveling through, but it definitely looks shallow based on the water color change from around that marnia, and in some of the other pictures they have there.

Now that you know how much water depth you need, do what others have said here...talk to other big boaters (maybe ride with one and learn), check the tides, practice, practice...become an experienced old salt.

Then take the wife and kids!

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I actually vote contrary to what ya'll have said; I'm a bit north of you in fort myers but its very common to see me in a canoe/kayak/outboard skiff with a section of pvc pipe. We own a deep draft boat in a notoriously shallow area and while we are tide limited, knowing exactly where I can-and cannot-be affords me much more leeway. While out there, sight land marks, plot locations on a chart, get as much info as possible. Google earth is a godsend, and see if you can find someone with a color plotter(printer for big paper), they can print off full size charts or satellite pictures or whatever.

Also, call Boat US, they are a very good safety net, not just for getting stuck, but also with trailer assist, break down assistance, and just a general good feeling knowing someone has your back. If you do end up needing a tow you will have paid for your membership-boat us is $250/hr+$13/foot, and seatow is $300/hr+$12/foot, if I recall their nonmember prices correctly:confused: If you call for the tow they charge transit time as well, where as if they see you, they only have that time. Members of course are free. A small kicker to run in and out of the canals with the outdrive trimmed up may very well be in order for you, try to get a 4 stroke so you don't have to keep mixed and straight gas onboard.

Finally, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence or wander off topic, but it is worth saying-the 350 is not as easy as your old outboard, you must be religious about fresh water rinsing after use, if it was a local purchase, have a mechanic check the exhaust elbows, they will rust out in only a few seasons if not properly cared for. Keep on top of the zincs as well, outdrives will corrode to nothing in the blink of an eye, this is of course in addition to the bellows and such. Stern drives in this area can be a nightmare maintenance wise if they are not properly looked after.

Sorry about the length, and good luck with whatever you decide to do.