Boat battery wire smoking...HELP!

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Boat battery wire smoking...HELP!

I wouldn't go out and get a new Perko switch, as from what I understand you really don't need it, is that correct? Is your battery charger a multi-bank charger with independent outputs? IE: they can be connected to separate batteries in a 24V or 36V bank. If so, then just ditch the Perko switch and hook up your charger. If your charger is a single output then you will have to figure something out, but I don't think the Perko switch is a good idea, from what you have seen.

Most likely, the Perko switch is a "make before break" type of switch where it connects both of the inputs, before switching between them. It's designed that way because alternator damage can be caused by disconnecting the battery when an engine is running. The way the switch is being used in your application (what it was not designed for) there is a possibility of shorting out the battery, by design of the switch.

One question, what does your switch look like; Off, 2, Com (1+2 or BOTH) and 1 at 12 o'clock, 3, 6 and 9,,, or all of these switch selections on the top of the switch. If it's a switch with the selections 90* apart it might work if you only go from 1>OFF>2 or 2>OFF>1,, and never to move the switch towards the Com/1+2/both terminal,, though I wouldn't advise it. If the switch has all of the settings close together on the top of the switch, I don't see it working as the switch HAS TO travel through the area where both inputs are combined, while switching between 1 and 2. HAS TO short out the battery to go from 24V to Charge.

Personally, I'd ditch the Perko switch as it's a fire hazard in this application. Get a mutli-bank charger, or use the one you have if it's a multi-bank charger with independent outputs. Or, on the cheap, if your charger is a single bank charger, get another single bank charger for the other battery.

fishrdan

Admiral

What type of a charger do you have?

So, talking to the guy at West Marine, he said I had no reason having the perko switch I did, and that all I need is a simple on/off switch between my wire that goes from positive Battery 1 to Negative battery 2 (so i get 24 volts out of my two 12V batteries).

Hmmmmm, I don't understand why you need a switch at all, you just need a jumper wire to connect the 2 batteries. What is the switch for? If you are going to use the switch to break the 24V jumper wire to separate the batteries, so you can hook up a single bank charger to both batteries at the same time,,, what happens to the single bank battery charger when the switch is thrown to connect the batteries back to 24V? If the charger does not have independent outputs, or it's a single bank charger, you will short out the batteries through the battery charger,,, could be expensive.

apaseman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, heres what I THINK it was for. First, my charger is a Guest Charge Pro model 2623. I do not know any details other than that :( It has 3 seperate wires coming out of it.

I believe the perko switch was rigged to A: link Battery A to Battery B via positive to negative terminals for 24V. however, the charger also is connected to my starting/motor battery to the Positive side, with both of the connections going onto the positive terminal..and a wire running from my starter battery to the negative terminal of battery B. So when you switched the perko from the 24V setting to "charge" it would then connect the negative terminal on Battery B to the negative terminal on Battery A (creating a link for all 3 batteries) while also disconnecting the 24V link. I (think) i'm attaching two diagrams, one of how it was, and one how it currently is and would love anyone to correct me or take a gander and see what they think.

Attachments

• Current Wiring.jpg
    Current Wiring.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 0
  • How it was Wired.jpg
    How it was Wired.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 0

fishrdan

Admiral

It looks like you have the right type of charger!:D Here's the manual for the Guest 2623A charger. I bet it's the same as the 2623 with some revision to it, but you might call Marinco customer service and see if they have a manual for your older charger.

http://www.marinco.com/files/support/products/manuals/727759.pdf

Anywho, ditch the switch. You don't need it as the charger can handle charging the trolling motor batteries while they jumpered for 24V,,, as long as the charger ouputs are connected to the correct batteries. From looking at the wiring diagram, outputs 1 and 3 get connected to the trolling motor batteries, while they are are connected in series, and output #2 goes to the start battery. Weird configuration, but the manual shows it will work and you don't need a switch to break the 24V jumper wire.

apaseman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow! Thanks for that link. It's all so confusing! Why did the original owner wire it up this way if he didn't need to?

I'd love to return the un-needed things I just bought, i mean I only spent $70 but I could sure use it somewhere else.

fishrdan

Admiral

Why did the original owner wire it up this way if he didn't need to?

Gooooood question... :rolleyes::D Could be that he had a different charger installed before, or didn't have this one configured properly because he didn't read the manual,,, and that was his solution. Either way, it's a whacky way to do it.

So now that you have the old Perko switch unused, do you want to connect it to one of the trolling batteries and the engine start battery, so you have a backup start battery?

apaseman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gooooood question... :rolleyes::D Could be that he had a different charger installed before, or didn't have this one configured properly because he didn't read the manual,,, and that was his solution. Either way, it's a whacky way to do it.

So now that you have the old Perko switch unused, do you want to connect it to one of the trolling batteries and the engine start battery, so you have a backup start battery?

How complicated is this to do? If it's not that complicated I don't see why I shouldn't...

apaseman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update: My battery charger is indeed capable of charging my 2 trolling motor batteries in series for 24V, and my starting battery...and i've returned the un-needed pieces, and things are working :D

No idea what the original owner was thinking hen he rigged it with the perko switch...especially when I think of how dangerous it was and what could have happened..gas tank being so close to the batteries and all...

THANK YOU ALL for your help! Love this forum, though it's dangerous, i'm starting to get a bug to restore this boat rather than sell it in a year for a newer model....

fishrdan

Admiral

How complicated is this to do? If it's not that complicated I don't see why I shouldn't...

It's not tough, but you need to use battery cable for all connections. You will be double-dutying one of the trolling motor batteries, use for the 24V bank and use as a second battery in the 12V side. I guess it could be confusing unless you see a diagram. Run a search for battery switch as there are a couple good diagrams in the archives. Search on the user Silvertip as he has some good diagrams.