Boat any good???? worth the $ ???

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
is this a decent buy??? 1976 arrowglass stinger with 85 hp mercury and 2006 tidewater trailer. looks to be in decent shape. is this a good setup? any idea how fast it will run? it doesn't have power trim or tilt, do you think this will be a major problem with the way the boat performs (not being able to control the tilt/trim??) thanks. seller is asking 1200.00 Is this boat a decent brand? see attatched picture.

Attachments

• sting.JPG
    sting.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 0

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Boat any good???? worth the $ ???

My opinion, since your looking for opinions..Thats a decent boat for the money..The questions are is it the first boat in your $$ range you have come across and will it suit your boating needs? Cruising? Fishing?
The boat is what, 36 years old? You need to make sure the transom is solid as well as the decking, any soft spots on them when you walk on the deck?

I would think 30ish mph..others can chime in with more experience with that size OB...I wouldnt let the lack of PT&T stop me from buying a OB boat...

That OB is also pretty old..What was the maintence on it?

I'd let him keep that dol-phin on the outboard, tell him to knock of an extra 50 bucks and he can resell it to someone else..They (again in my opinion) do more to hinder performance, steering ect than help...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

get the year and serial # off the motor, check parts availability, there are some of the older mercs that now have NLA critical parts. of course take it for a test run before buying. 1 hour minimum.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I think you'd be better off putting that $1200 plus the other $2500 you're gonna spend making it right towards a better deal, that's what I think.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The trailer looks to be in good shape. If the engine runs you're probably close to the $1200 in value right there. If the boat turns out to be solid as well, it could be a very good deal. Definitely worth checking out in person.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

wish i could sell a motor like that for $1200.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I took a closer look at the pic, unless there's a bunch of loose change in the seats that thing is a $1200 yard anchor......keep looking.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Why does the boat have both a dolphin and power trim tabs? Normally the trim tabs would be sufficient if they work. They are worth a couple of hundred if they work.

If the motor needs any work, you may have an issue finding someone who will work on it, if you cannot. That motor should have ADI ignition( if really 1976), so that helps if you need parts.

I guess I do not think the price is bad, if it is in serviceable condition (sound hull and running motor).

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

So, $1200 for the boat, plus roughly $1500 to replace the deck and (possibly) transom. You're talking a $3000 budget which could buy a mid-late 90's boat in decent shape with readily available parts.

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So, $1200 for the boat, plus roughly $1500 to replace the deck and (possibly) transom. You're talking a $3000 budget which could buy a mid-late 90's boat in decent shape with readily available parts.

Where does it say the floor and transom are rotted?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

This part: "1976". And judging by the heavily oxidized gelcoat, the bimini left up (the guy doesn't cover it, unless it was just for the photo), and the fact many people would not put in the effort we do in keeping a boat lasting for decades.

All of this is moot if maineiac5586 just plain loves that boat and wants it no matter what. Boating isn't about investments, it's about getting what you want out of it. I absolutely fell in love with and bought a boat others would not touch and got a good deal (to me) as a result.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, spending what is needed and expanding your tool collection in order to complete repairs to a project boat, there is no such thing as a bad deal.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

...right under where it says that everyone can afford a $3000+ boat ;)

You have to start somewhere- the floors and stringers may be a concern. The question was, "is it worth $1200?"

The guy is apparently in Maine- lots of boats, lots of water. Did I mention lots of used boats?

In New England, an old running boat on a trailer that has no major or immediate needs is worth $800 to $1500, so it is in the ball park. If the transom is solid and the floors and seats are not rotted out, I might feel the seller out and offer $750 and see if he bites. Go there, show him the flaws in the boat, make him run it for you, show him the actual cash and be ready to walk away friendly and polite. He may counter offer! But there are a lot of boats out there, it's a slow economy, and there's a ton of snow up here- the guy might want the money.