Boat Angel?

matt167

Captain
I'm considering obtaining a project thru Boat Angel on Ebay, but I'v never bought anything bigger than a stereo off Ebay. Prices seem fair as well as the 'document fee'.. Anyone have any dealings with them?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Boat Angel?

well, it will be a project that's for sure. What you pay has nothing to do with what it will cost you.

matt167

Captain

I figured it will be a project, which is what I'v been aiming to get anyway. I was going to build a boat from scratch, but if I can get a boat for what I think I can, I'll have at least a workable hull for much less than the plywood and lumber alone. Not really looking at glassers, only Aluminum hull's

stevecur

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Boat Angels is fine to deal with. Make sure to read the listing completly so that you are awear of all charges beond the selling price. They never see any more about the boat than you see in the listing. All they have is the description that the donating owner gives them. Don't expect much as these boat are normaly very rough.

matt167

Captain

Yes. I'm actually looking for something that needs tore down and rebuilt. At the very least checked thoroughly and reconditioned. Some of those boats arn't worth the $10.50 start bid when you factor in the $249 processing fee. Some of them at least have parts which would make it worth the chance, but I'm really after a cheap workable hull. Workable boat power would be a +, but that would only be determined until I was able to assess the condition

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I think I'd rather go with a Craigslist search.

matt167

Captain

I'm checking CL every day. Everything worth checking out is too many miles away or too much money, or a Tri-hull. I wasn't planning on spending more than $400 with all fee's incurred. At least with a BA transaction.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If you are looking at a tinny and you are already planning on a rebuild I don't see how you could go wrong as long as you check it out as much as you can to make sure there are no huge holes in the hull or anything and you are helping out a charity, just remeber they don't know anything about boats so it could be a semi bouyant turd.

As far as the Ebay aspect, just be sure of who you are dealing with, speak to them if at all possible, I ahve doen alot of buisness on Ebay selling and buying and only had trouble once and I did eventually get my money back, one of those deals where i knew better but didn't listen to myself.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I tried buying a boat from them 2 years ago.

Boat was supposedly located just 40 miles from me.

After the auction ended, they told me it was 180 miles away, and it could only be picked up on a Saturday, 6 weeks out.

matt167

Captain

Definitely think many boats they have fits that description. This for instance. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986...37006?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item1c2c1019ee
I'm really only interested in 1 boat they have on the site and it's tin, For the price I'm willing to go to, really can't loose as long as the boat is where BA says it is, and I can get to it with little issue... And as long as I can get my money back if it's not as they say. I keep reading their terms carefully over and over and it sounds if that is in their terms. I'll probably contact them before I even think about bidding

I know of a couple boats I could get for close to free or free. 1 is a Bayliner and has no trailer and no motor. owner bought it for the motor that is on it and it has sat open to the weather for a dozen years or so. Other 1 I know has not seen the water in 30 years. Both are fiberglass and unless something else comes up, they are of no interest to me because they would be a huge project.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just as a point of reference, those of us who have done total rebuilds on 'glassers have put in around 5k in materials for the hulls only on 18' ers. Then our labors of love are free.

matt167

Captain

Yep. I'll take a tinny, or I might as well just build a hull and start fresh.. Only way I'll get a glasser is if it happens to be exactly what I want, like a 16-22' Cuddy in buildable condition.

13crazyhorse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have bought two boats from Boat Angel. One two years ago outboard open bow 17 ft. Boat needed new floor but the motor ended up running. Bought one this year 24 ft w/350 motor. Boat Angel said it ran because that's what the owner told them. Most of these boats you can't start up because rarely do they have batteries or any ammenities left in them. But you get what you pay for. This second boat I bought didn't run and after alot of work finding out the reasons why the owner obviously knew the motor was shot and lied about it. I bought it cheap enough so I'm buying a new motor to replace it. Virtually everything on the boat needs some kind of work but if you get it cheap enough a project is a project. DO NOT PAY TOO MUCH!!! You have to assume the motors are no good and the boat needs alot of work or the owners would not be donating them. It's the old saying - "If it looks too good to be true....". You can find some good projects cheap but be ready to spend alot of money and time on them. You're not going to get something for nothing and beware most of the boats they sell are beyond repair but if you don't remove them from where they are located they will give you a full refund. But like I said before you can't usually start the engines (if they have one) so don't overpay, assume the motor is no good and accept the bonus if it is.

matt167

Captain

Yep.I'v got a figure in my head I won't go over and that is far from overpaying. I want a project so after it's complete, I know that it is 100% when done. I'm prepared to buy a motor if needed. If I get a trailer, and a hull for as little as possible, I'm ahead from my original plans ( build from scratch ).

13crazyhorse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That was my last plan on the boat I just bought. I got a 24 ft weekender with a nice dual axle trailer for 1100.00. The trailer is worth more than that. The guy also told me the tires were good. When I got there (3 hr trip) the tires were absolute garbage so I had to go for 500 more for tires to get it home. But I like new tires on the trailer anyway. Another 3K for a brand new (not rebuilt motor). Also about another 1k in this and that. A winters worth of work, which I enjoy in my garage and I'm going to have a real sweet boat next spring for about 5k which will be worth twice that. And the most important part is I will have gone over the entire boat from stem to stern and will know exactly what I have. Sounds kinda like what you're looking to do. If you can buy the boat right it works. I've seen alot of these boats go for way too much money so be patient and get the boat you want for the price you figure is good. Good luck with your project there is alot of satisfaction knowing you have restored it yourself and you will know exactly what you have in the whole boat.