Bluesea ACR cycling open/closed while not charging

jgnobis

Recruit
Looking for some thoughts on an ACR and battery issue. Recently purchased a sailboat that has had some power issues. I just replaced the two batteries in the boat. These two batteries are installed with a multi-battery charger (Mastervolt 12/25-3), a manual switch to utilize each (or both) battery and a Bluesea ACR - 7610 installed between the batteries as well. When shore power is disconnected or the charger is off and I have something drawing power from one battery (blower or refrigeration, etc.) every couple of minutes the ACR cycles open and then closes a minute or so later and doing this repeatedly causing the betteries to drain.

I'm wondering if there is a wiring issue or perhaps a faulty ACR that might be causing this issue? Before tearing and apart and retracing all of the wiring in the boat, hoping someone might have some insight into this situation.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
When shore power is disconnected or the charger is off and I have something drawing power from one battery (blower or refrigeration, etc.) every couple of minutes the ACR cycles open and then closes a minute or so later and doing this repeatedly causing the betteries to drain.
Open/Close Cycling
If your electrical system is configured with a charging source that cannot supply the full load current being drawn from the receiving batteries, an open/close cycling process can occur. If this cycling continues, the second battery bank could eventually discharge even though a charge source is present

Do you by chance leave the battery switch on "both"?

If so, your pulling current from both battery banks through the switch with a voltage sensitive switch trying to keep both balanced.

Flip switch to 1 and see what happens

Last edited:

jgnobis

Recruit
Thanks for the reply. The battery switch was set to the primary and not to both. I suppose it's possible that there is an issue with the switch?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I suppose it's possible that there is an issue with the switch?
Possible but not likely.

The ACR is controlled by voltage. Telay closes at 13.6 VDC and opens at 12.75 VDC in either battery.

A battery on its own can’t generate 13.6 VDC. It needs a source to generate that much voltage.

Are you sure the battery charger isn’t somehow on?

What do the batteries read (voltage) when this situation occurs?

Could have fried the ACR. Hook up battery cables backwards by any chance?