Blue Fish

David Schenck

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Blue Fish

Thanks for the posting - yes, it is the fish i thought it was. wonderful in the smoker or as fillets in the pan

deeep water

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i love chasing schooling blues in my whaler,, i use 1oz bucktails tiped with squid and 18" solid wire to 8 lb test mono,,,3,,5 or 8 lb blues heaven ,,my only worry is do i have enough fuel to keep up with the school

davo65

Recruit

we get bluefish here in downunder australia. we call them tailor. not uncommon to get them to 15 to 20 pound in some parts of the west coast.east coast smaller at 5 to 8 lb iam sure they are as much fun here to catch as the are your way.<br /> CHEERS DAVO... <br /> From sunny down under..

Fly Rod

Commander

:) davo65<br /><br />You should try a flyrod 8-10 weight on them critters!!! Up our way they have very sharp teeth and ya need to use wire leader!!!<br /><br />We get them to 20lbs. but consistently 8-12 lbs. and they appear mid June-October!!! ;) :cool:

davo65

Recruit

The blue fish are pretty tame compared to some of the other toothy critters we got swimming around here. No good with a fly rod,get my self all tangled up. What else do you catch up your way?<br /> CHEERS DAVO......<br /> from sunny down under

glennkil

Seaman

Eating chunks out of bathers in Miami in the 80's!! Wow. I knew Miami was a dangerous place in the 80's but I thought that you were safe in the water. On the east coat of Australia blue fish or tailor as we know them rarely exceed the 3lb mark for a good one. They make great sport but can definitely make a nuisance of themselved if fishing without wire for other species. Not bad eating but a tad oily for my palate. Gotta watch those teeth for sure, make mince meat out of a stray finger! By the way I love reading the stories on this forum. I have been to the USA 3 times but not been lucky enough to fish. I did however spend days walking around Bass Pro in Orlando. That place blew my mind. If you only knew how much we pay for tackle over here. I bought a daiwa reel for approx $50 AUD at Bass Pro that I saw a week later in a local tackle store for $160 AUD. Ouch!!

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Davo65<br /><br />We catch giant blue fin tuna, cod fish, haddock greysole, flounder,herring, smelt,shark,pollock,striped bass,wolf fish!!! ;) :cool: