Blue Fish

Fly Rod

Commander
:) Sunday was our annual "Lanesville Bluefish Tournament"!!!<br />This event gets bigger every year!!! Mostly the locals turn out for this event, but this year we have had people as far away as New Jersey enter the tournament!!!<br /><br />Over 500 people paid ten bucks to get a chance at winning $2,000.00 for 1st place, $1,500.00 2nd and $1,000.00 for 3rd and ten $100.00 cash drawings and a dozen rod and reel combos!!! This was a one day event starting at 6am and ending at Lanes Cove at 4pm sharp!!!<br /><br />The $2,000.00 bluefish weighed in at 10.5lbs. ;) :cool:

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Blue Fish

Cool!! :cool: <br /><br />Is a bluefish the same as a blue runner?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A bluefish is more like a salt water piranha than a blue runner, LF.<br /><br />I remember a school of them attacking bathers in Miami back in the 80s. No deaths, but many chunks of flesh missing. <br /><br />Small ones (to about 7-8#) that show up in the south during the winter are called choppers. By the time they get to New England they can run as big as 50#, but 10-25# are more common.<br /><br />Got into a school of 1-5# in the surf in Sarasota once. Caught them on a Johnson Silver minnow. Had as many as 3 strikes per cast. <br /><br />Dangerous to handle. Like a shark, they can see well out of the water and will attack anything they can see. Gave one to a fellow tourist who promptly got her hand lacerated.<br /><br />Good eating fish if very fresh.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Yep... Cool!..<br /><br />The blues will be showing up in mass quantity here pretty soon, along with the spanish mackerel...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The bluefish, a trophy species hotly pursued by anglers due to it's reputation as a champion battler and voracious predator, is native to both the American and European-African coasts of the Atlantic Ocean. Along the western Atlantic it is abundant from Argentina to Cape Cod, and it occasionally occurs as far north as Nova Scotia.<br /><br />Bluefish is something of a misnomer, as this species is most commonly a sea-green color above, fading into a silvery shade on its lower sides and belly. The adult bluefish has a stout body and large mouth that extends posteriorly below and beyond the eye. The lower jaw juts out noticeably. Both the upper and lower jaws are fully armed with large conically shaped canine teeth. The dorsal fin is divided into two sections. The first section, about half as long and high as the second, has a series of stiff spines supporting the soft tissues of the fin. The second or posterior dorsal fin is equal in length to the anal fin.<br /><br />Bluefish rarely exceed 20 lbs. and 40 inches in length. The North American record bluefish, caught in North Carolina, weighed 31 lbs 12 ounces. The Massachusetts record fish, landed at Graves Light in 1982, weighed 27 pounds 4 ounces. The larger fish caught during a given year generally run between 10-15 pounds. <br /><br />Both male and female bluefish reach sexual maturity by the time they are 2 years old. The fecundity (number of eggs produced) of females is related to their size, with 21-inch female producing about 900,000 eggs and a 23-inch female about 1,100,00 eggs per year.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A little heavy on the New England weights JB. The majority are between 5 and 15lbs. On the high end, 20lbs is about the max. <br /><br />They are voracious eaters, but there teath are no worse than many other game fish. That said, I wouldn't want to stick my toes in the middle of a blitz.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) dingbat!! Nice reading material!!! :D <br /><br />fishingdan!! You hit the nail on the head!!! :) <br /><br />It takes a good size bluefish to go over 10lbs.!!!<br /><br />They are excellent to catch on a flyrod!!!<br /><br />If interested in catching football tuna around our way try a mackerel jig (old chome plated type) by casting into the pod as they franticly feed!!! Here on Cape Ann they are feeding heavy on silversides about 2-3"!!! ;) :cool:

Ralph 123

Captain

I can't even imagine the fight a 31lb Blue would put up. I'm tired just thinking about it :) <br /><br />I'm going out to the Graves tomorrow night. Maybe I'll get lucky.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My bad. I guess I get blues and stripers mixed up sometimes.

fondafj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bluefish:<br /> The best inshore "stuck on the bottom" imitator there is. A 20 lb blue in 100 ft of water is one heck of a workout! 5-7 lb'ers on light spinning tackle is a blast. <br /> For good eating they MUST be fresh, iced after in the boat and cooked within 24 hours. If you don't like very strong fish flavor, trimming of all the dark strips from the fillet while cleaning is a must as well.

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

Most of us around here think of blues as a nusance. They destroy the tackle used to target many other game fish. Funny thing is, you catch blues trolling for bass at 1.5 to 3 knots. Then the bass leave in june and BFT show up and you catch blues trolling at 6 to 9 knots for the tuna The hardest thing sometimes is to get through the school of blues down to where the cows are!!! <br /><br /><br />But sometimes the blues are the only thing that saves a bad day fishing. You can almost always count on them to turn a bad day around!!!<br /><br />The party boats take all the benny's out for blues cause they are almost a sure thing throughout the summer :D

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Up here on Cape Ann some times blue fish saves a bad day of striper fishing!!! But this perticular trip was a requested bluefish trip and turned out to be a very exciting day with, plenty of blues and hundreds of the football tuna jumping and splashing and plenty of photo shots for the anglers!!!! And we can fetch $.90 a pound for the blues at the wharf!!!! Try a fly rod on them blues!!! ;) :cool:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Bluefish will bring exitement of a different kind.<br />Imagine an acre of boiling ocean with pieces of porgies flying through the air seagulls diving and blues in a feeding frenzie stirring it up.It is one of the most impressive things you can witness.Often this happens very close to shore because the baitfish is driven in there by the blues.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Centsless:<br /> Bluefish:<br /> For good eating they MUST be fresh, iced after in the boat and cooked within 24 hours. If you don't like very strong fish flavor, trimming of all the dark strips from the fillet while cleaning is a must as well.
I would add to the above recommendation that the fish should be bled as soon as possible. I tend to let them calm down on ice for about 10 minutes and then cut the membrane behind the gills.

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can't wait for the blues to start making their way back down through NJ. Catching 5-10 lb. fish on an ultralight with 4 lb. line is amazing. The only better fighting fish that I've ever caught was a dolphin, but if you're after pure action, it's gotta be the blues. <br />I rarely even eat the larger ones. I prefer to eat the 2-5 lb. fish because they taste so much better.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

when I was stationed at Cherry Point a Marine friend and I went fishing for blues at Atlantic beach. We'd been drinking a bit and he caught the first blue and being about snockered, thought he'd kiss it for good luck. Well....it bit the tip of his nose off. He was jumping around yelling and cussing and I was laughing so hard I was crying. He kept saying."Doc, do something." All I could do was laugh.

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not a big fan of fresh bluefish, but they are a WHOLE LOTTA FUN to catch!<br /><br />That said - Smoked Bluefish is fantastic - brined for 24-36 hours before 12-14 hours cold smoking, with a 1 hour warm smoke to finish.<br /><br />Also - Bulefish Cheeks are quite good. You need 10+ pounders for this:<br /><br />In front of the gill opening is a gill ridge. using you sharp filet knife, skin forward from this ridge to the eye. There is a socket in the skull here that contains a delectable piece of meat. Carefully run the blade around the sockey & pop out a scallop-like chunk of meat. Repeat with your remining fisheads. Soak the sheeks in buttermilk for about 1/2 to 2 hours, then flour & fry. Talk about good eats!

David Schenck

Seaman Apprentice

What is the Latin name for bluefish? What are your other common names for it? Is it what the Aussies call a taylor?