Blown head gasket water in oil question

SLiM JiM 156

Cadet
I have a 1988 Sea Ray Sorrento with a blown head gasket. I am going to pull the heads next weekend, but my question is what would be the best way to get all the bad oil out? I bought a fluid extractor but since I can't run the boat to warm the oil up, it pumps very slow. I also cant get it to pump all of the oil out. I was thinking about buying an electric pump in hopes that it would work faster, but that still leaves me with some bad oil in the engine. Any ideas?

Thanks

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Blown head gasket water in oil question

Use your fluid extractor to get the oil out. Do the heads that you need to do. Run the boat a bit and then extract the oil again and look for water. If there is lots you still have problems. If there is very little to none, Dump in fresh oil and then change the oil filter this time.

Welcome to iboats :)

SLiM JiM 156

Cadet
Re: Blown head gasket water in oil question

Yes I did, I live in California where it never gets below freezing. I was driving the boat when there was a sudden power loss, towed it back on the trailer, checked the oil and it was milky. I checked the compression today and it has 50 psi on cylinder 4. I am going to have the heads checked before i put it back together, but I am hoping its not a cracked block. The boat only has 311 original hours.