Blower Hose Question

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class
I didn't want to hijack an earlier thread, but reading it made me question how my blower motor hose is setup. The way mine is, the hose comes from the starboard vent about two feet to the blower, then has about a 6" inlet hose and ends there. Given the fact fuel vapors are heavier than air, should the blower inlet hose be lower ie, closer to the bilge?

BTW, my boat is a, '88 17.5' bowrider with a 3.0.

Thanks for the help.

Coors

Captain
Re: Blower Hose Question

As low as you can get it, without sucking bilge water.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I agree as low in the bildge as possible but above the any bildge water. Idea is to suck the fume out before they reach the ingition source (Engine). Also if there is a second hose from the cowl on the side where the bildge blower is it should also go deep in the bilge same as the blower hose. When running with the blower off the hose without the blower will vent more air than the one with the bildge blower.

Input air hoses on the other side should go the the engine area but above the engine. Actually if possible above the Flame aresster. This is to add fresh air to the top and force any fumes down to the blower hose and out.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

a lot of inlets, like the side vent don't have hose for that reason. fresh air to the top, pushing bad air to the bottom and out the hose.

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies. You have confirmed what I thought. The starboard side has the one hose going to the blower, but the inlet to the blower is about as high as it could be. Port side vent doesn't have a hose at all.

One more question. When I was at the marine store the hose they had for the blower looked like standard dryer hose. Would there be a problem with or a reason not to use a dryer hose for 1/3 the price?

Thanks again

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

The marine grade hose has stainless wire in it to keep it from rusting.

Coors

Captain

You should have a sister hose, by the blower, just to vent at cruising speed while blower is off.