blocking up a boat...to remove trailer

knarrman

Cadet
what's the proper procedure for blocking up a boat to remove trailer for new boat....and instructions or illustrations would help...reminder: 1st time doing this so talk stupid...if you know what i mean

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: blocking up a boat...to remove trailer

1 take boat and put it into water.<br />2 pull trailer out of water.<br />3. drive boat out 100 yards<br />4 turn boat around, point towards land.<br />5 floor it<br />6. hold on.<br /><br />you said to talk stupid :) <br /><br />j/k how big is the boat? ive only seen it done at a marina, but if its not that big, you probly need 4 or 6 or more stands. thier like jack stands with leveler pads on them, just jack it evenly and remove trailer. once trailer is removed you can put big foam blocks under the keel like they do at showrooms. <br />honestly you might want to invest in a trailer as well for the new boat. those stands are not cheap.

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I bet you can find a cheep trailer to put the old boat on. Nothing fancy and sell them. Put new boat on your trailer and be done with it. Or leave the old boat on it's trailer and buy a good used trailer for the new boat.

Realgun

Commander

Basically you will need to lower the front of the trailer.<br />Then block the rear corners of the boat. <br />Lift the fron of the trailer. <br />Did I mention remove the transom straps? <br />You should then have the rear of the boat resting on the blocks.<br />Raise the front of the traler a small amount and place a block near the front of the boat.<br />Move the trailer forward a we bit until you have no more room. <br />Place another block Behind the previous block. Remove the first block and move the trailer a bit more. At this piont you might be able to place two blocks on the sides of the boat BEHIND the wheels. You will need to be carfull of the front area block as you don't want to knock it over with trailer.<br />Finally you should be able to drive away and have the blocks all positioned and the boat off.<br />hope this helps.

rikkiron

Cadet

Hi ! Just to let you know how it is done in Aussie ; if your Boat is around the 18 to 20 ft mark ; Hook Trailer onto Vehicle ; attach a rope to the strongest part of the motor and attach the other end to a tree or another Vehicle as an anchor; Have numerouse old tyres around ; ans slowly pull the trailer foward ; as thre boat slips of the trailer apply tyers as supports under the boat ; along keel and sides to balnce boat in an upright position ; continue slidding boat off untill it is sitting on the groung with the tyers as supports ; peice of cake just take your time ; to place boat back onto trailer ; Back trailer up to boat ; attach winch cable to boat ; and slowly winch boat back onto trailer ; making sure that boat is running on true to the rollers; if the trailer is not a tilt trailer you will be way up in the air for a while but once you have a balance of boat on the trailer gently pull trailer down ; and continue to winch the boat on ; easy as falling of the Black stump; :rolleyes: Regards Ronscorpio

one more cast

Captain

I have done it Realgun's way and Ronscorpio's way. What are your plans for the old boat? If you plan on selling it then use the Grumpy Old Fish way.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hey knarrman,<br /><br />You going to put that boat in the Delaware River? I have thought about it, but worry about all the monster size prop eating bolders and the water's depth varies by season and storm. <br /><br />Just asking because Phillipsburg is right on the Delaware River, and it's close to me too.<br /><br />If its in the budget, then a new trailer might be the way to go. I bought my Load Rite trailer at Camp Marine down at the shore www.campmarine.com I combined the drive (almost 2 hrs) with a day at the beach with the kids, Grandma & Granpa, to make it worth the trip. That place had the lowest prices of anywhere around us by about $200. And they have a huge crane like device to move boats from old trailer to new trailer. They seem to know their stuff. <br /><br />Mark

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure if this the correct way, but it work for me. Placed jack under right side of trailer frame a raised up. Used some 6x6 I had laying around to support the hull,on my hull have about a 3inch flat lip where the corners meet. Lowered jack and did other side. I have some pics if you want to see them, but they just show the boat siting on the blocks.<br />Good luck..

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Knarrman, I cringe, everytime this subject comes up on here. Before any advice is givin ( that is valuable) you have to tell us how big your boat is. Two days ago we pulled and blocked a boat, it took several cinder blocks, several blocks of wood, four adjustable boat stands and TWO 5 TON FORKLIFTS ! It might even be impossible without a Marine Travelift....what size is your boat ?

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

I block my boat off the trailer.Its 31' long,weight is 12,000lbs.Took me the better part of a day.<br />Blocks of wood cross over each other,4 stacks along the keel(4"x 6"s')the same to the outside of the boat.I also put some 4"x4"in the ground,took some 2"x8",cross them under the boat from side to side locking them in place.Boat is not going anywere,I hope.Its been dry docked for 4 months,still have about 1 1/2 month work to do.