Blanco states LA had a well thought our exit plan

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/weather/091105_APkatrina_blanco.html <br /><br />9/11/05 - HOUSTON) — Louisiana had a "well thought-out exit plan," in the days leading up to Hurricane Katrina and many more lives would have been lost without it, Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco said Sunday. <br /> <br />"There was not a single individual taking a slow step in our state," Blanco said at the Reliant Center, where more than 2,000 evacuees are still living after fleeing the devastation in New Orleans. <br /><br /><br />"I personally, and everybody I knew, begged people to leave before the storm came in. We had a very systematic, well thought-out exit plan. Hundreds of thousands left," she said. "We simply didn't have the infrastructure." <br /><br />Government officials on the city, state and federal levels have been criticized for delays in evacuations and delivery of supplies, communications problems and law enforcement problems that led to looting and violence. Blanco, a Democrat, refused to blame President Bush, who is a Republican. <br /><br />"He committed help to me," she said. "Help in those critical moments was slow in coming, not through any fault of the president." <br /><br />In a tense 14-minute answer to a question asking her to elaborate on her comments about Louisiana's storm plans, Blanco insisted state officials had an evacuation and rescue effort that prevented thousands more deaths. <br /><br />"Were there lessons learned? You bet," she said. "We did a massive evacuation and if we hadn't we would have had thousands of deaths. Right now the numbers are minimal when you consider the amount of damage." <br /><br />Blanco came to the Reliant Center to meet with evacuees and say thank you to the state of Texas for its hospitality toward those who fled the storm. <br /><br />"So many states reached out to us," Blanco said. "But no state took as large a number, as heavy a burden as this state." <br /><br />Blanco got a warm welcome from many of the storm victims she visited Sunday with several giving her hugs and asking for autographs. She spent a lot of time talking to children. <br /><br />She also pledged that destroyed areas will be rebuilt, but cautioned that it could take a long time before some residents can return to the areas where they lived. Texas officials estimate that some 240,000 Louisiana residents fled to Texas. <br /><br />Blanco warned that moving home too early could be dangerous. "We don't have an easy answer," she said. "This is day by day." <br /><br />She said political forces are trying to find someone to blame for the death and destruction. <br /><br />"Everybody becomes a scapegoat. The president becomes a scapegoat, the governor becomes a scapegoat. The mayor becomes a scapegoat," she said. "We each take our turns."

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Blanco states LA had a well thought our exit plan

That was one of the most honest responses I have seen yet..........

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

It's a bold, yet cunning plan to convince the public that Bush is responsible by not blaming him. She's using reverse psycology, never before attempted by an America politician, on an unsuspecting population. Let the media, Ralph Nagin and Kanye West do the dirty work for her; take the high road and come out ready to face Hillary...sorry...got a little carried away there.

D

DJ

Tracks are bein' a covered.<br /><br />Just because someone doesn't seem rattled and looks good, doesn't mean they are TELLING THE TRUTH.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Actually what I've read it seemed a well-thought-out enough plan. If implemented. With enough lead time. That was my impression.<br /><br />Nagin has said they didn't use the buses they had because all the bus drivers evacuated their own selves. Really, he said it!<br /><br />"Ralph, where's that list of people who are supposed to drive the evac buses? You did recruit some evac bus drivers, didn't you?"<br /><br />"Doh!"

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Pass the kool-aid. The well-thought out kool-aid.

K5WAS

Seaman

Now another view!!<br /><br /> <br /><br /><br />Mary Landrieu: School Bus Failure Bush's Fault <br /><br />It was the Bush administration's fault that hundreds of city school buses weren't dispatched to evacuate the hurricane-battered residents of New Orleans two weeks ago before floods swamped the city, Louisiana Sen. Mary Landrieu said Sunday.<br /><br />Asked on "Fox News Sunday" why New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin failed to follow the city's evacuation plan and press the buses into service, Landrieu blamed Bush administration cuts in mass transit funding. <br /><br />"Mayor Nagin and most mayors in this country have a hard time getting their people to work on a sunny day, let alone getting them out of the city in front of a hurricane," she said. "And it's because this administration and administrations before them do not understand the difficulties that mayors . . . face." <br /><br />Landrieu then added: "In other words, this administration did not believe in mass transit. They won't even get people to work on a sunny day, let alone getting them out." <br /><br />Saying she was unwilling to criticize Louisiana officials, the Louisiana Democrat insisted that Mayor Nagin's evacuation efforts had been a smashing success. <br /><br />"Because the mayor evacuated the city, we had the best evacuation . . . of any evacuation I've seen. I'm 50 years old; I've never seen one any better," Landrieu told FNS. <br /><br />That prompted FNS host Chris Wallace to remind: "But there were a hundred thousand people left in the city." <br /><br />Landrieu once again blamed the White House, saying: <br /><br />"They did [have] a hundred thousand people left in the city because this federal government won't support cities to evacuate people, whether it's from earthquakes, tornadoes, or hurricanes. And that's the truth."<br /><br />((Makes one wonder just how this woman ever got<br /><br />to be a Senator!!))

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

blah blah blah blah blah<br /><br />
Mayor Nagin and most mayors in this country have a hard time getting their people to work on a sunny day, let alone getting them out of the city in front of a hurricane
can you say LAZY and looking for a handout because the guberment owes them

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

"have a hard time getting their people to work"<br /><br />"Landrieu blamed Bush administration cuts in mass transit funding."<br /><br />"do not understand the difficulties that mayors . . . face."<br /><br />huh?<br /><br />translation:<br /><br />"We don't have 500 people in the city of New Orleans that have the b*lls to drive busses out of town in front of a hurricane."<br /><br />or<br /><br />"President Bush forgot to sign people up for bus-driving duty...surely you don't expect a Mayor to do that!"

gonefishie

Commander

alright I'm gonna get jump on like a flat screen around a bunch of looter for saying this. No wonder why everything went SNAFU! they have 2 womans in Gov. and Sen office. I have heard from woman admitted that man make better decision when s..hit hit the fan then they do. That Landrieu is especially a joke. That is why there would be a black president before there will be a woman president.

KaGee

Admiral

Somebody please splain somthin to me...<br /><br />What the heck does Mass transportation funds have to do with school busses???

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Somebody please splain somthin to me...<br /><br />What the heck does Mass transportation funds have to do with school busses???
ain't you learned nothing about Louisiana politics yet?<br /><br />obviously, if Bush would pony up more funding, they could put the school bus drivers on the city bus mass transit payroll, and hire a better class of people who wouldn't skeedadle every time the Mayor says "everbody out!"<br /><br />[and would somebody please jump on gonefishie, he done been sexist and racist all at the same time!]

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

KG,<br /><br />If you ask one more reasonable question you will be asked to turn in your Iboats decoder ring. Your hesitancy to blame Bush is disturbing. Funny, I haven't heard Bush blaming anyone. What's wrong with him?

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya know, I grew up in Lake Charles and remember when that woman was running for office. Then I remember when a club at my high school went on a field trip to Baton Rouge and they wanted to meet some of the government officials. When Mary Landrieu was asked for an interview, she turned her nose up at them and said in a harsh voice something to the effect of, "this is ash wednesday, and I'm too busy for that." They published a story about that in either the moss bluff paper or the American Press and it wasn't long before they got a formal letter of apology from "her." Ever since then I couldn't stand that woman. I wasn't even into politics then, but I really didn't like her. Now, Chris Johns did meet with them and answered questions and was generally a good guy. I don't know what party he is or what kind of performance he has given LA, but he was more personable than that witch.<br /><br />James

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

In the final analysis, I think Nagin will be tagged for the incompetant fool he's shown himself to be. I also think the local and state government will bear the brunt of criticism, and Landrieu will settle into the background so as to avoid sounding really stupid (not that she doesn't already).<br /><br />Maybe this disaster will have some benefits down the road, though. "Ophelia" isn't due on NC shores for 2 days, but the governer is already positioning 200 guard troops for immediate response (yes, that's two-oh-oh, two hundred). It'll be interesting to see how quickly he gets 'em to Ocrakoke Island, or to Hatteras after the only road gets washed out (as it does each and every time). Haven't heard him ask for federal assistance, but I'm sure he will just as soon as NC becomes unable to respond with enough forces and aid ... and then blame Bush because they didn't respond in 6 hours! :p

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by POINTER94:<br /> KG,<br /><br />If you ask one more reasonable question you will be asked to turn in your Iboats decoder ring.
My decoder ring?? No, please , not that! :eek: <br /><br />"Mayor Nagin and most mayors in this country have a hard time getting their people to work on a sunny day,"<br /><br />In light of the fact that Mary is WHITE and NAGIN, along with 80% og NO is BLACK... wouldn't one consider that comment to be racial-stereotypical??<br /><br />(Hiding my ring in my super, double-secret hideout... along with my cape, mask and communicator watch) :p

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by K5WAS:<br /> ((Makes one wonder just how this woman ever got to be a Senator!!))
Makes one wonder, even more, about the people who elected her! :rolleyes: <br /><br />She has weighed in late on the subject. I guess THEY tried to save the best (most rediculous) for last.<br /><br />Just another example of the camoflauge, lies and prevarication that I keep trying to illustrate. And the most amazing thing is that they can stand up on national TV and say these kinds of things with a straight face. I just dare any of you admirers to try this in your family, circle of friends or place of work and find out how long you would last.

gonefishie

Commander

ain't you learned nothing about Louisiana politics yet?<br /><br />obviously, if Bush would pony up more funding, they could put the school bus drivers on the city bus mass transit payroll, and hire a better class of people who wouldn't skeedadle every time the Mayor says "everbody out!"<br /><br />[and would somebody please jump on gonefishie, he done been sexist and racist all at the same time!]<br /><br />I know, I'm a bad dude! :p <br />I'm just saying stuff that a lot of you want to say but affraid to.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> She has weighed in late on the subject. I guess THEY tried to save the best (most rediculous) for last.<br /><br />
boomer, it's probably worse than you think. Here she is surveying the damage on August 30:<br /><br />
senmarylandrieu.jpg
<br /><br />She came in early, and waited late to voice her opinion, wouldn't you expect it to be better than (paraphrase) "couldn't use school buses because of inadequate federal funding for mass transit, plus we got lazy good-for-nothing bus drivers down here on the bayou." <br /><br />I should point out, however, that the evacuation was in fact incredibly successful...a year ago they called for evac for category4 Hurricane Ivan (which missed the city thank God); the 80-mile drive to Baton Rouge took over 7 hours due to traffic; I-10 was a deathtrap for anybody in their car. This time they reversed the direction of the inbound lanes sooner.

KaGee

Admiral

Hey Gonefishie...<br /><br />It's not that she's a bad leader cause she's a woman... she's just a bad leader. There are plenty of women who are excellent leaders... just none currently in office in Louisiana.<br /><br />In the case of Landrieu, she's only there cause of her daddy.