Bladders insert for fuel tank leak

I have a 25 skipjack fb with a fuel leak in a 111 gal tank. A friend said he used a insert-able bladder to replace a leak in a tank he had. Sounds reasonable but he has been know to BS. Anyone have any information into doing this?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

a bladder would not pass the USCG fuel regulations

get a new tank

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm sure your leaky tank has baffles in it, no way can you insert a bladder in it. I say your friend is full of fumes.

mr 88

Commander
I am curious as to how you could insert a bladder thick enough to stop a leak and flimsy enough to stuff it through your 2" or so sending unit access hole ? Then you have the fill hole and air vent to deal with. After reading what I wrote , someone please send me a link to these " insertable bladders "

gr8knurlin

Seaman Apprentice
This is my plan for my leaking water tank, but I would not consider this method for a fuel tank. Seeing how much structural work is involved with a fuel tank replacement I'd likely mothball the old tank and and install a new tank on my generator pad ( I guess it depends on how much room you have) https://boatstore.com/32631-31-gallon-permanent-fuel-tank.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=ppc
I typically only add 20 gallons at a time anyway and am on a fairly small lake so long range is not an issue for me.
They do make then for gas & diesel but I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that...