Black oil leaking out of a Nissan 9.9 2 Stroke

DK in Chicago

Seaman
I'm guessing this is not good, but don't know what the problem is or if it is fixable.

Nissan2.jpg

Nissan3.jpg

Nissan4.jpg

Nissan1.jpg

When I opened the plug to change the lower unit oil this spring What came out was basically orange water. This was stored in a friends unheated garage in Chicago so it went through a decent winter last year.

One other note, it didn't look like this at the start of the season, only after I ran it.

Once I got new lower unit oil in there I ran it for about 30ish minutes up the river and back. The next time I went to take it out, it had this oil slick. So I wiped it and went to fill the lower unit again but it was still pretty good.

I took it out again for about 30ish minutes and it ran like a champ, but the next time I looked at it I saw it again and that's when I took these pictures.

Thanks for any advice in advance. I love this motor and can't afford to screw it up any more than it is.... HELP!!!!!! ;-)

DK

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Black oil leaking out of a Nissan 9.9 2 Stroke

That looks like unburned fuel/oil rather than a lower unit leak. Check your lower unit after the next couple of times you go out. As long as the oil in it isn't grey your okay.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Black oil leaking out of a Nissan 9.9 2 Stroke

Gear oil should be the color of the gear oil that you put in....Usually it's amber, but some brands are clear and at least one I have seen was red.