black marks

piers

Seaman
I have some stains in my gel coat that was caused by residual shrink wrap tape that I thought I had removed but infact did not get all of it.After haveing left the boat in the water last season for six months the residual tape residue has all disappeared but a black stain has remained in its place.I have tried FSR to get it out but with no luck.It is in the lower bow area of my boat just above the water line.Anyone have any suggestion?The stains seem to be right into the gel coat and are black in color.<br /><br /> Thanks PT

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: black marks

Buff it out..or sand with 600g then buff..( dry sand )<br /><br />YD.

piers

Seaman

Thanks for the reply,<br /> Is there any type of rubbing compound that would work or is sanding the best way.You say dry sanding, then buff....what would you use for the buff?<br /><br /> PT

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Something like a Makita 7" polisher sander using some medium cut compound.<br /><br />try to buff out first..hard to say whats best without trying it first :) <br /><br />YD.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You aren't the first with this problem. I just can't remember like I used to. If it looks that deep hold off on the wiping out the jell coat layer till there is no other way. Contact the person who shrinked it and ask what brand of tape they used. Call the company, sometimes they have been thru this dozens of times and have a non-destructive answer. If you get lucky, let us know.

piers

Seaman

Thats a good idea I will let you know.<br /><br /> Thanks PT

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am going off again but humor me. All the rest of us who have found old tape on their boats later. Did any of you have NO problems? If no problems, could you get the tapes name, so more people don't go thru this ?--------------------------------------If we get some good tapes, this should be put in the new Q & A section.