Black Fingernails

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Okay, here's a real diversion from the topics found on iboats. But it happened while working on a boat, so here goes...<br /><br />Several weeks back I pinched my finger when a wrench slipped. It didn't seem all that bad, but the fingernail turned black under the skin and now the black area has grown out to the end. Past experience says that sooner or later it's going to snag and pull the nail away from the limited area of skin where it is still attached. OUCH! :eek: <br /><br />What can I do to prevent the inevitable? Trimming the bad isn't much of an option because it's still attached on the sides and all I'll have is two snag spots. Been there, done that. Usually I just keep a bandaid on it until it grows off. But I'll bet somebody out there has a way to repair the nail until it grows off. Any suggestions? :confused:

SimonC

Cadet
Re: Black Fingernails

When I did much the same thing I used superglue with reasonable success. Make sure it's the type that flexes slightly otherwise it'll just crack.<br /><br />As an alternative gaffer tape is always an option!

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Super glue works, but I also use "Liquid Skin" It seems to flex a bit more. Good Luck.

aspeck

Staff member

Lee Press-On nails? :p <br />Just a thought!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

old roofer trick: just after it happens, heat<br />up a nail or paper-clip until red hot and put<br />a hole in top of the nail. relieves the pressure...

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Next time that happens and there will be a next time!!! :rolleyes: <br /><br />Take a drill and small drill bit and drill a small hole to relieve pressure from the blood forming under the nail and squeeze the blood out!!! The nail will gradually grow out with out to much fuss!!! Be carefull when drilling,don't apply pressure to drill!!! :D <br /><br />Or you could take a sewing needle or nail and heat it "red hot" and melt a hole to relieve pressure, same results as above!!! :D :D <br /><br />And their is a little pain , but your a big fella!!! ;) :cool:

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I did that once. I just let the nail fall off. It will fall off at some point. A new one will grow back. I did it several years ago, and the nail is still not the same. I can tell when I trim it down. It has a different toughness, compared to the others.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

The only time in my life that I became "lightheaded" is when I had to drill a hole in my fingernail to let the blood out.<br /><br />I was 13 at the time, and the thought of it gives me goosebumps.<br /><br />I had to do the same thing to the wifes fingernail after she slammed it in the door.<br /><br />Ken

gonfishn

Commander

Love these old wives tale..Depends on extent of wound..If I were you I would cut the whole finger off and grow a new one..Then after that see me I have a brige I want to sell you..

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

When you are done worrying about the nail,maybe you should schedule for a pedicure and a waxing. :p :p :p

Kenneth Brown

Captain

My dad would always drill a hole in the nail. I never had the cajones for it though. I just wait till it starts falling off and cry about it, I'm a girlie man too I guess.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I mashed the de-waddlin' &%$@ outa my thumbnail once. It turned black and just kinda started to rot off of me. Then a new nail started growing underneath. People would get weak in the knees when I showed 'em I had two thumnails on one thumb.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I think by now I've lost at least half of them, one at a time. To make a long story short, I was going to try the superglue because that was originally made as an instant bandage that unfortunately is extremely irritating. But I snagged it good when I was installing a 5.7 and ripped it off. After they scraped me off the ceiling :eek: I put a baidaid on it (a bit late, eh?) and kept on keeping on. Still hurts, but I'll get over it. Thanks for your input, humor, and suggestions. :)

crab bait

Captain

heck, just get a black full length trench coat.. an paint the restof'em black.. <br /><br />face piercings all optainal..