Black fibers/lint from black Sunbrella Boat Covers

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer
Hey folks,

So, I have these black snap on Sunbrella/Taylor Made covers for my boat (see picture)
outside%20back.jpg

Anyway, it leaves black fibers/lint all over my white interior when it sits on the boat for a while. I believe it comes from where the edges are folded and sewn/cut.

Any ideas how to limit this issue? It really sucks to clean the whole boat (for hours) and then put the cover on, only to KNOW it's going to be dirty when I uncover it.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Black fibers/lint from black Sunbrella Boat Covers

Most of the Sunbrella are a woven acrylic fiber and I suspect that the action of the wind and the rain on your cover is just shaking loose some fibers that are landing on the inside of your boat. Maybe you could lay a sheet or tarp down on the seats and floor of your boat to catch most of these fibers? I'm also trying to think of something that might be sprayed on to the underside of your boat cover to "seal" or "glue" the fiber so they would not fall.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Are you sure you have Sunbrella? See link, I have Sunbrella (the tag on on the inside of the cover states Sunbrella) dark blue snap on covers for my boat and have never seen anytype of lint/fibers and they have been trailered at 70 mph. http://www.taylormadeproducts.com/catalog/
You have to follow the links at this site to boat covers and then fabric comparison.. I could not hot link to this page, but they do not advertise using Sunbrella

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

If it was an aftermarket cover or even Sunbrella that was cut away from the factory sealed edge, then the fibers are coming from the cut edges of the canvas. After all, Sunbrella is nothing more than a brand name on canvas.

There are little bottles of a liquid called 'Fray Check' that are from the Dritz company. It's available in most Wal/K- marts, fabric stores, etc.

Just run the liquid down the raw edges of the material and it dries to a clear solid edge and stops the offending little fibers from coming loose.

I'm an upholsterer and I use it on all canvas jobs.

Attachments

• fc.JPG
    fc.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 0

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

If it was an aftermarket cover or even Sunbrella that was cut away from the factory sealed edge, then the fibers are coming from the cut edges of the canvas. After all, Sunbrella is nothing more than a brand name on canvas.

There are little bottles of a liquid called 'Fray Check' that are from the Dritz company. It's available in most Wal/K- marts, fabric stores, etc.

Just run the liquid down the raw edges of the material and it dries to a clear solid edge and stops the offending little fibers from coming loose.

I'm an upholsterer and I use it on all canvas jobs.

Thanks!

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

On my covers, the cut edges are folded into the seams, there are no exposed edges. I would think a fraying edge would be obvious. My point on the sunbrella was that there are imitation materials that appear the same as sunbrella but are far from the quality that Sunbrella offers. At least that has been my experience. IMO, Sunbrella is a lot more than a name brand on a canvas. But then again I'm not an upholsterer, just someone who has used many boat covers over the years.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

When you cut Sunbrella, you should always use a heat cutter like the Engel hot knife. Possible that the person who made your cover didn't use one of these.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

The cover was made by TaylorMade, same company that made the windshield and a bunch of other stuff on the boat.

jp10

Seaman

What is your boat cleaning routine and products? It looks really sharp. On the cover, give it a season, it just may be loose fibers that will stop "shedding" when it gets a bit aged.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

What is your boat cleaning routine and products? It looks really sharp. On the cover, give it a season, it just may be loose fibers that will stop "shedding" when it gets a bit aged.

Ha. That picture is from the dealer I bought it from over a year ago...she's a little more scuffed...but I like to think she still looks good!

The cover has been shedding more and more as it gets older. Grrr

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

On my covers, the cut edges are folded into the seams, there are no exposed edges.

That is the way it should be, but a lot of people don't make sure that the cut edges are contained in the seam. I have had to do it on ocassion, especially when the job is running short on material. The Fray Check essentially coats the seam so it doesn't fray (clever name, huh?)

+1 on the hot knife.

I have found little to no difference on the Sunbrella vs Dickson Marine vs other brands, with the exception of the amount of colors & patterns that Sunbrella offers. The thread count & weight are almost identical, although there may be a difference in the weatherproofing. I use Dickson Marine Fabric about 80% of the time and have had 0 complaints on the quality or finish.

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class

....Maybe you could lay a sheet or tarp down on the seats and floor of your boat to catch most of these fibers?

I was thinking even cheaper: a $1.99 plastic drop cloth and some masking tape under the canvas.

Jeep Man

Commander

My cover is black and the seats are white. The cover has a thin soft felt like material adhered to the inside, anyplace where it comes in contact with the boat interior, I assume to prevent any rubbing in a wind. This could be added to your cover.