Biting the bullet- and converting to Merc!

duke3478

Seaman
Well, I've spent three summers now, probably 200 or so voyages, worrying about the shift adjustment on my ol' Cobra. Finally took the plunge, (and saved enough $$) and ordered the SEI conversion and Merc clone outdrive. Anyone interested in following my progress, check back here. My package should arrive Monday the ninth. My Cobra never did 'eat her gears' but would give me a dog slip 'clunk' now and then off-idle. I think what many guys neglect (and what plagued me more than the Cobra) is 1) the condition of the throttle and 2) the routing and support of the shift cables from throttle to the engine.

I've bought several packages of the screw-eye zip ties from a marine store and they've all been too brittle to use. My sagging shift cables no doubt contributed to the difficulties I did have.

Anyway, I'll post pictures and maybe video during the conversion. My drive is off already, and it's sad to see her go, but anyone interested in a complete working Cobra upper or lower, or the outer gimbal (bellhousing) can PM me. I'd love to see them (or the whole drive) go to a good home.

Thanks to everyone in the OMC section for everything! You've kept me shifting for three summers. Just tired of the headache.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Biting the bullet- and converting to Merc!

Good luck with it & I don't blame ya one bit! I replaced my shift cable last season & everything was fine but now it's acting up again. So, now it's back to square one & doing the adjustments again. Sometimes I wish my Cobra would just dynamite so I'd have an excuse to do the conversion. But on the other hand my boat's an '87 so it's hard to justify sinking 2k into it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes I wish my Cobra would just dynamite so I'd have an excuse to do the conversion. But on the other hand my boat's an '87 so it's hard to justify sinking 2k into it.

The one in my signature is an '87 also. Since I replaced my King Kobra before it "dynamite'd", I was able to sell it (the drive only) for $1450.

I also sold almost everything else piece by piece over the next few years for a total of $3500 (incl the drive) And I still have a few pieces and 2 nice ss props left.

So don't wish for it to blow. sell it before it does to help you do the switch!

Cheers,

Rick

duke3478

Seaman

...an '87 so it's hard to justify sinking 2k into it.

I had that thought, too, but there are so many other kinks I've worked out that aren't drive related. My floor is hard as concrete, I reupholstered all the seats last year, and the 4.3 is a top. I considered selling and shopping for a whole new boat, but every new old boat means at least a grand in surprises, if I'm lucky. I'm used to the handling, I've mastered trailering it, and we're just generally used to it as a family. With the drive NEW and warrantied, I think I'm ahead in the long run.

I'd need to spend about 6K to get a new old boat equivalent, and then it would be an unknown.

SLOANCRETE

Recruit

would like to know where you ordered from...think of doing the same thing...

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Subscribed...Looking forward to the write-up/review.

lillbush

Seaman

would you like to sell the old outdrive? I am in need of one. Send me a message if you would like to!

NeedaBiggerBoat

Seaman Apprentice

Ive considered this option too, but I am kinda on the ledge because I only want my current boat to do some over nights on the bay and then I'm moving up to a large sailboat. Then again I think it would be nice to still have a trailer-able boat to take to other places, I will follow this as well thanks for posting this.

duke3478

Seaman

I bought everything from SEI. The conversion 'kit,' actually an adapter between the OMC gimbal and mercruiser gimbal, was $350. The anode kit was about $55, and the "install kit" (bolts, gaskets, etc) was around $50. Shipping from FL to Vegas ran $169, less than I expected. Oh, and the drive, 1.81 ratio modified by them to interface with the OMC gimbal (notched in a certain area to allow full down trim) was $1495. Some of the other ratios, and counter-rotating drives are more expensive.

I did find an east coast rebuilder that was selling rebuilt Merc drives for about 1500, but I would have had to modify it myself and pay for a separate shipping charge. I figured overall it was better to stick with all SEI. That rebuilder offered a 2-year warranty, but I liked SEI's better.

All together, the bill was just about $2100 shipped. I'll keep everyone posted, including an unboxing video.

Lillbush, look for a PM. :)

duke3478

Seaman

Okay, the SEI packages arrived today, very well packaged, apart from four bolts and washers loose in the lower unit packaging. It looks like the box retained everything, even though the washers in some cases were between the styrofoam packaging and the cardboard box...

Anyway, here's the unboxing. This is a slideshow of what you get when you order the adapter, complete SE116 drive, install kit and anode kit:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AcMnLRk1buGFb

IMG_0706.jpgIMG_0691.jpgIMG_0701.jpgIMG_0705.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 0

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the timely thread. I've been toying with the same idea on my boat. What year was/is your cobra? It looks like something I might want to do. Although my Cobra had the shifting fix done to it back in the day and my outdrive is fine....so far. Just waiting to see what the verdict is on my motor. Looking forward to your seeing your progress.

Joe

subcrx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My cobra is clunking constantly now as of yesterday so ive been looking into the sei conversion. I have a 5.7 v8. Any idea what gear ratio I would need for that?

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Okay, the SEI packages arrived today, very well packaged, apart from four bolts and washers loose in the lower unit packaging. It looks like the box retained everything, even though the washers in some cases were between the styrofoam packaging and the cardboard box...

Anyway, here's the unboxing. This is a slideshow of what you get when you order the adapter, complete SE116 drive, install kit and anode kit:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AcMnLRk1buGFb

View attachment 157345View attachment 157346View attachment 157347View attachment 157348

Wow man! Congrats! I wish I was even in a position to be able to convert to something else. Sadly I am doomed with a stringer setup. So shiny...

duke3478

Seaman

My cobra is clunking constantly now as of yesterday so ive been looking into the sei conversion. I have a 5.7 v8. Any idea what gear ratio I would need for that?

Check the SEI site, they have the info there. If not, post on their forum and a tech will respond. There's a thread there about a 5.7 I believe, and the customer talks about having issues with the gears on certain ratios being thinner cut than others. I think usually the best bet is to get close to your stock ratio.

..what year is/was your cobra?

1991 4.3 normal output, in a Four Winns 195. Rated at 150 horse, probably more like 115-120 now. I've updated to new shift cable, checked ESA, kept idle at 600-650, etc, but never was happy.

Nivekt, it's taken a lot of saving-and ALL my savings- to buy this setup. It took a lot of homework and cost/benefit analysis to decide on the conversion vs. replacing the dog and gears. Try to save up and decide what makes sense for you.

More updates to come. :)

NeedaBiggerBoat

Seaman Apprentice

Very Nice! i actually looked into this before I bought my boat but I have since fixed all the shifting issues with it and now but have cooling problems :facepalm:

duke3478

Seaman

Okay, finished part one and recorded it on the phone. Not bad video for a cellphone. It's uploading to youtube now, should be finished processing in 1/2 hour but here's the link.

sam60

Captain

Wow man! Congrats! I wish I was even in a position to be able to convert to something else. Sadly I am doomed with a stringer setup. So shiny...

I'm also in a position where I can't do a kit change-out.... but look at the bright side, we can get ear plugs and black engine paint for cheap!..:D

Nice work Duke !

talon8

Seaman Apprentice

would you like to sell the old outdrive? I am in need of one. Send me a message if you would like to!

I have a solid 1989 Cobra from a 5.8 liter V8 for sale.