Binoculars On The Water

platinumedge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Folks,

I was curious if there's any consensus on what constitutes a good set of binoculars, while using a power boat. Most of my boating will take place on the Potomac river, or one of its estuaries; and during the day. I think I may have seen that we aren't allowed to promote products that aren't sold through iBoats. If that's true then I will continue to do my research on the Internet. However, I'd welcome suggestions on the types of prisms, types of lenses, power, waterproof vs. water resistant (pretty easy to figure that one out), is floatable very important.

Thank you all kindly!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You can mention any product that is or isn't sold on iboats store, on your thread. But you can't recommend any other place to buy any product IF it is sold on iboats store.

With that stated, one thing you have to understand is, the human eye can only open up to ~5mm to 7mm dilation diameter.. So you have to pick any scope/monocular/binocular so that the objective lens divided by the power (magnification) has at least that diameter light shaft coming through. For instance, 7 power by 35mm objective lens allows 5mm light through to your eye. the typical 8 x 20mm will not allow you to see in dim light conditions, only during bright sunny days. That is the main reason a lot of hunters are buying large objective lens rifle scopes these days. It allows you to see earlier in the mornings and later in the evenings...and it does work too!

If you can compare such large objective lens scopes with smaller objective lens, you would be absolutely amazed at the difference. Large objective lens is like someone shining a light looking through it during low light times compared to small objective lens. Small lens actually looks like you are looking through very dark sunglasses with little ability to see most anything.

So with that stated, the next thing is lens coatings and purity. And again, that is where the price comes in. You get what you pay for and there is no cheating quality lens. Clear optics and coating COST lots of money. And with quality lens, don't compare anything in a well lite store and pick a much cheaper product. Those costly lens only come to their true abilities during low light times. And any store isn't the place to compare sight ability of good lens to cheap lens.

Buy any quality binoculars that have a good power to objective lens capability and with high quality lens and you will like most any offering. Sorry for such a long posting, but there is even more info that I can get into, but didn't.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
floating binoculars are nice in the ditch bag along with the floating GPS and floating VHF

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Waterproof, 7 x 50 with stabilization if you can afford it.

I keep a pair of Bushnell marine on board. No idea of the model. I have had them forever.

Don’t use them much anymore. Find myself flipping on radar for target ID and looking for birds

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a pair of Fujinon stabilized binoculars that are no longer available. They were at the bottom of the Fujinon line of stabilized binoculars when I bought them, but the stabilization is very effective and the optics are surprisingly good. The comparable model available now is the Fujinon TS 1228.

When using binoculars from a boat, stabilization is worth every penny.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Depends on what you plan to use the binocs for. I’m assuming you just want a pair to keep in the boat to check things out and to get a better view of random things in the distance, casual use. That being the case get a moderately to less expensive pair. For casual use you don’t need stabilization. Stabilization is awesome but is quite expensive. Most are around $800 to well over $1000. You can get a decent pair of waterproof fog proof for about $100. (Waterproof and fog proof are important) For casual use In a boat you don’t want an expensive pair as they will get rough use, get dropped, banged up and may accidentally go overboard.
I have several pair of binoculars. I always keep 2 pair in my boat, both are cheap to moderately priced. They do what I want and I’ve never had a problem with them. For hunting I have a pair of binoculars (swarovski) that cost $1800 several years ago. Those do not go in my boat.

ahicks

Captain
My "perfect" pair would have built in range finder and built in compass heading.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You need binoculars that automatically find and zoom in on the " deck fluff " in the yellow swim wear.

ahicks

Captain
Not sure I follow what you're saying. Could you provide a link?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Actually today there are many alternatives to binoculars.--------Your GPS and RADAR on bigger boats tell you where you are.-----I remember an 80 mile trip on a 38' sailboat.----Last 40 miles was in thick fog.----Came off the lake and tied up at a Marina overnight.------They asked us in the morning what time we came in.------Last night 8:00 in the evening we said.-----" how did you ever find your way in here " was the reply.------"The more electronics you have the more chances you can take , I said.-----Binoculars were useless that day.--------GPS / RADAR.----Hand held GPS, a good chart / depth sounder and a bucket full of experience also helps.-----But I know that night vision equipment can also be a big help.----Not that expensive these days.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Why don't you just get a monocular and an eye patch like the older day pirates used? I mean you're on a boat on the water. Play the part! You won't have depth of field, but on long distances, you never will anyway with binoculars either.