Bimini Top

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking for input on Bimini Tops. I've been searching around and you can call me frugal but I've been considering buying a bimini off of ebay.
Particularly the "Safeguard Premium Bimini"
They are $119 shipped and come with a boot, 30 day $$ back guarantee & 5 yr warranty.
The company claims operable speed up to 55 MPH (my boat does 45 max)

What is the group's experience or opinion on this or other "ebay biminis"?

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Bimini Top

Iboats bimini's are good quality and have great customer support. I have purchased two and have been pleased with both. No true "bimini" will support speeds like that when deployed.

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

i've had one of those ebay tops for 3 years now, it doesnt get used a ton but seems ok so far

RollingWanderer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I picked up a custom Carver Industries bimini off ebay a few years ago. Paid extra for all SS hardware and sunbrella fabric. I have no complaints and it has held up well. The fastest I've gone with the bimini deployed is ~35-40 mph and it held just fine.

Based on what I've seen and heard from others, I'd stay away from bimini tops with plastic fittings and no-name fabric.

-RW

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer

I don't even have a folding top so I don't know what I'm talking about but I notice the ones on eBay that fit the OP description only have a single frame mounting point on each side, with straps front & rear. These fold down & need to rest on something. On what kind of boat would that be better than the kind that collapses into an overhead hoop?

MRS

Commander

I have a three rib bimini and replaced the back strap with a post makes it more stable plus you can mount up right when not in use if you like. My will set on the transom when not in use and is out of the way have run over 40mph with top up and know troubles but do have all S.S. fixtures I would not run plastic.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I have a Carver bimini with plastic fittings. Love the bimini top... I've had it up to 35 MPH into a 10-12 MPH headwind and it held up fine. I do wish I had popped extra for the stainless steel fittings. I think I can retrofit them, but the plastic ones don't inspire lots of confidence. They just have more give than I like.

Jim

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

101_0006.jpg100_6202.JPG100_6197.JPG

This bimini stands up fine to 40 MPH. In fact, because it tends to act like a wing and lift the hull, with it up, my speed jumps to 43. Just remember to twist the hold-down straps 4-5 times and they will not flutter in the wind.

Last edited:

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class

robert graham

Admiral

You generally get what you pay for, and $119 sounds pretty low-end to me...and if you have to replace it in 2 or 3 years maybe not so good. My Bimini is a 3 bow with that turquoise coated Sunbrella fabric($450), but it came with the new boat in 1999 and it's just about like new now.....55MPH sounds high to me!....even 45MPH can generate a good bit of stress and buffeting on that top....not so good!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

The weak points in the top are the plastic fitting that come with it. Spend a couple of dollars at your local marine supply and upgrade them to SS. A solution dyed acrylic canvas will offer decent wear from 5-6 years with average care. Reds/maroons fade easily while the tans and blacks/dark blues hold their color longer. Sunbrella offers a 10 year warranty on their fabric, but it costs more. The last sticking point will be the thread they used to stitch it together. Keep an eye on it and if it's not UV rated thread, you'll have to have it restitched in a couple of years, although that's not expensive at all.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I don't know what it is: I bought it used from a co-worker about ten years ago. It is canvas with a boot and actually cam off a larger boat--about 30 feet. I used it on my 18 and now on my 21 footer.

dragos28

Seaman

I bought one off ebay its really nice, cost 119, but i bought the SS hardware separate

90330d1374805384-bought-boat-byatch-1374805383623.jpg

90346d1374805408-bought-boat-byatch-1374805406906.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Those $99 biminis are great. So are the $27 truck tires.
JMO.

fishrdan

Admiral

Personally, I wouldn't go for one of the $119 bimini's. They might work OK, but I wouldn't want to run the risk of it falling apart in 3-4 years.

You mentioned that you're furgal (yeah I'm a cheap ____ too) and if the $119 bimini is the difference between frying out on the lake and having shade for a couple of seasons,,, well.... Before I got my bimini we would want to be off the lake early as we were cooking with no escape from the sun (100*+ temps), now with the bimini there is an escape from the sun....

I bought a Westland Sunbrella Bimini off Ebay for $120... It took about 6 months of checking Ebay, but finally the right thing came along, right color and size.

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's my next question is size. When shopping on Iboats, the size came back for an 85-90" wide Bimini. Which I guess the beam on my boat is 90". But the top of the gunwales only measures 76" wide. And the mounting points on the windshield where the factory sport top mounted are 72" wide.
What size should I get? If I go 85-90 it seems it'll be too wide but that's what the selector called for. Seems like a 76" would be about right. Help?

MRS

Commander

Measure the distance where you will mount it do not mount to windshield that mount has nothing to do with it.
If you go back to bimini section for ordering go to the bottom of page will explain how to measure it. Hope this helps...