bimini top position

nightvision

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,
What is the proper way to trailer a 18 foot bowrider with a bimini top. I was told that it should be in the up postion (but not open of course) when trailering. To me, it's more stable folding it down either on the winshield or back on the stern seats. Thanks for you input.

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: bimini top position

Back on the seats, unless you have a pole support while it's up and booted, and not just support from a strap going to the bow.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I started taking mine completely off. I used to trailer it booted but up held by a pole. What made me change my mind is seeing the damage done to my brothers boat when the stainless steel fitting thant the bimini was attatched to broke off of his windshield.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A folded bimini lying horizontally can stress the fittings where it joins the gunwales, depnding on the angles of various things. If you lay it down, make sure it is not trying to pull the fittings out...

QC

Supreme Mariner

swist's comment is a good one. Easy to tell though by gently lifting after it lies down. If it is easy to maneuver, then it is probably not stressing anything. Also when they are down like that they can bounce pretty wildly and mess up your seat tops etc. Very hard to see in the mirror too. I like to secure them when down and trailering with bungees or straps or sumpin' . . .

On my last two boats I mounted a separate set of mounting points to allow it to lie down just aft of the engine cover (I/O) and on top of the transom. You can often use the new aft mounts as your rear strap connection points when the bimini is fully up and forward.