Bimini top - how tall is OK for cruising?

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bimini top - how tall is OK for cruising?

How does the quick release work on the lower one? Does the vertical part snap into the base?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yes, and the button on the left releases it.

fishrdan

Admiral

I have a 3' bimini slider and there are thumb screw stop bolts, integrated into the sliding part that attaches to the bimini. Just snug them down a bit and it won't move fore-aft under the pressure of the straps.

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 48" top on mine and run up to 35mph with no issues. Not even a flutter. The only thing I have come up against is waves. When they rock the boat side to side the top sways with it. I have plastic mounts and need to upgrade to SS.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 48" top on mine and run up to 35mph with no issues. Not even a flutter. The only thing I have come up against is waves. When they rock the boat side to side the top sways with it. I have plastic mounts and need to upgrade to SS.

Do you have a pic of your boat with the top up that I could see? Thanks!

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will work on it. I don't want to uncover it with the strange weather we are having today.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

I will work on it. I don't want to uncover it with the strange weather we are having today.

No problem, thanks and I understand...I went to my boat last night to put support poles under my cover in case it rained. And of course, not a single drop here yet! :)

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2012-05-27 17.20.04.jpg

Here is a picture my 10 year oold took of me (6'5") under my canapy. My driveway is slanted so it looks kinda funny but you can compare the canopy to the boat and see it is pretty much flat with the boat.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

View attachment 149083

Here is a picture my 10 year oold took of me (6'5") under my canapy. My driveway is slanted so it looks kinda funny but you can compare the canopy to the boat and see it is pretty much flat with the boat.

Thanks -- much appreciated. I've come to the conclusion that something tall enough for me to stand under will work fine on my boat when cruising. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

OK -- someone is making my bimini top for me as part of a larger project which includes new seats. I went down to work with them on getting the frame for the bimini right and after coming home and looking at the pics we took and comparing the frame to other bimini frames, I'm seeing some major differences that I'm not real fond of that have to do with the length and mount points of the middle and front bows.

Here's a pic of the frame with me standing under it. We were trying to determine the best positioning and height of it when this pic was taken. I am almost 6'-2" and the middle bow was a good 6" above my head when this pic was taken, so we decided that he would cut 3-4" off the middle bow so that it would not be so tall in the middle.

Also, in comparing this frame to other bimini frames, that middle bow is attached much lower on the rear bow than every other bimini I've seen and the vertical part of it is also much longer. The same goes for the front bow -- it is a lot longer (vertically) and also mounted much lower down on the rear bow than on other biminis.

I want the top to look nice and I also want it to be tall enough so that I can stand up underneath it, especially towards the rear half of it, but am willing to have it a little shorter if that means it will look better. Am I worrying too much about this and should just wait and see what it looks like when it's done? Or should I say something now before they do any more work on it?

Top_Frame.jpg