bimini top, adjustment?

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just got a new bimini put onto my boat to replace the original convertible top that came with it. All I thought was good, but I have an issue with the fabric ballooning up over the frames when going at speed (20-25mph).
I know the max speed is 25 mph with the top up, and I was trying to stay under that, but wind conditions can sometimes make that impossible to attain (and maintain planing speed at least)
The top is an 8 foot by 42 inch Taylor made 4 bow, set to fold forward of the windshield when collapsed. Should I adjust the straps so that the forward edge is more down, or what is the general consensus for reducing/eliminating the balloon (more like a parachute) effect when underway.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: bimini top, adjustment?

Hopefully the top is mounted to a sliding rail on the gunnel with two straps going aft and two forward. You adjust the straps so that the top is relatively level and tight.
Like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/Solittle/DSCF00081.jpg

With the slider it is esay to adjust and I slide mine completely aft when I want the top down.

And you can run lots faster than 25 mph. Ever been passed on the interstate by a guy towing a boat with the top up at 60 mph+.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: bimini top, adjustment?

The top has adjustable straps front and rear, but I do not have a rail system for the center supports. When static and still, the top is fine, and appears properly tensioned and level. The problem I had last Friday was that the top would parachute, and it seemed worst when the bow came up getting onto plane. by that time the "damage" was done, and the top continued to parachute while underway. The headwind did not help matters much in that event either. Should I adjust the front straps to bring the leading edge of the top down, and try to avoid getting that much air under the top?