Bimini Sizing and Installation

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys,

Waited all winter to get under my tarp to double check measurements for a bimini against iboats - vessel is 1999 Princecraft Pro Series 166. (I sent an email to iboats with my question - but also want some feedback..)

I have a rail mounted inside for the convertible cover. I guess I had assumed the bimini would attach to that. There's 64.5" between each rail. Iboats suggests a 79-84" bimini.... this would put the mounting kits on the gunwales...

I did search through the archives here, and found a bunch of photos and discussion about the biminis... but none discussing the actual product itself...

I guess I can see this giving me extra room inside... but should I shop for one that fits into the rails width instead, or put the new hardware on?

My convertible top is shot - so I'm hoping to buy a complete cover or have one made - I never use the convertible top, so a plain old cover will be suitable for me... it's just to keep the rain out when sitting on the trailer.... when i'm on the boat, I'm in the sun, and the only cover I want is a bimini.

What do you think, bergundy or tan color?? I'm thinking bergundy... (photo in signature) original cover and boot are tan... dash, and wheels are tan.... carpets are bergundy... seats are tan and bergundy

Thoughts on this? Much appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bimini Sizing and Installation

you will never match the burgandy, most like it will clash, be smart and go tan or white.

Bondo

Staff member

My convertible top is shot - so I'm hoping to buy a complete cover or have one made - I never use the convertible top, so a plain old cover will be suitable for me... it's just to keep the rain out when sitting on the trailer.... when i'm on the boat, I'm in the sun, and the only cover I want is a bimini.

Ayuh,... A Bimini is a Roof... By your discription, you want a Trailerable boat Cover, Not a Bimini...

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Tashasdaddy... good thought there. I never could match anything. :)

Bondo... I guess I made that sound confusing...

The bimini (roof) will be on when it's sunny, and I'm out. A second cover to cover the entire boat for when on trailer or towed will be purchased.... because my existing convertible top is shot. I have never used the convertible top. Putting the convertible top on is a 20 minute process (installing the aluminum bar, all the snaps, zipping in the window) just to keep out the rain (and it does a crap job at that)

So, as I've never seen or been in a vessel with a bimini - other than photos. Should I get one to fit in my existing rail - or get the wider one, and make new mounting holes for it? The difference between 64.5" wide and 79-84" seems steep. (and I do understand the bars can have a 2-3" stretch)

cheers

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I mounted mine outside the window on the hull using side mounting hardware. We would regret not having the extra room if it mounted inside the boat. We get complete shade and I think it looks better this way also.

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class

I mounted mine outside the window on the hull using side mounting hardware. We would regret not having the extra room if it mounted inside the boat. We get complete shade and I think it looks better this way also.

I did mine the same way. I wanted as much room inside as I can. I didn't have the option to mount it on the gunwale because the wind shield comes back too far.

25265_1217377204842_1541231550_30496641_778208_n.jpg

25265_1217377404847_1541231550_30496646_5578401_n.jpg

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

looks good! heres a little better pic of how mine is.

Augustlakepics014-1.jpg

rbh

Fleet Admiral

ours is mounted to the windshield frame as well as the gunwale. It makes for nice clean lines in my opinion.

Last edited:

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

ours is mounted to the windshield frame as we as the gunwale. It makes for nice clean lines in my opinion.

It looks like you have a pretty good sized beam also, compared to a smaller bowrider. Ive seen it done either way, its just personal preference.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

It looks like you have a pretty good sized beam also, compared to a smaller bowrider. Ive seen it done either way, its just personal preference.

I guess that when you snap down the side curtains everything comes together nice and tight to keep the rain and wind out,
By the way, hows the truckin going?? good winter???

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

ahh you have full camper canvas. Then i guess you would want it on the windshield frame. That makes sense. One day i'll move up and be in that league lol.
Trucking is good, its been the best winter I had in about 5 years so far. They gave me a brand new kenworth too, so it must be workin out pretty good :D. I couldnt be more grateful, the job came at just about the right time.