Billionaires dumping US stocks, should I?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Billionaires dumping US stocks, should I?

Conservation Reserve Program - A federal program to put land to the side and let it lay fallow. If I remember correctly the minimum time is ten years and there are BIG penalty points if you take it out early.

Sounds like a program that started back in the 1920-1930s to stop the erosion of farm land?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Originally yes but it's been expanded several times since then and is used for other things. When it first started the big concern was water run off in hilly areas or where there wasn't much top soil. That expanded to cover wind erosion which they found it was a bigger problem than water erosion over the long term. (Wind erosion and over farming created the dust bowl.) Some estimates put wind erosion of Iowa top soil at two to three feet since people started farming it. The county extension offices (USDA) like to see "strips" of land set aside to help with the problem and for the most part it's pretty effective. The other reason they do it is for wildlife habitat. Imagine you have a big wash running across your land. There was time farmers would bulldoze the trees and ground cover and then fill in the wash and use it for farming. (Good bye wild life.) That's the sort of land the feds want to see set aside.

I am unsure if there are any provincial/federal laws on the books up here like that, but I do know that groups like ducks unlimited over the last few decades have gotten farmers to set a side large tracks of wet lands just for those purposes.

Riparian zones are something I believe are required now, to protect fish and the enviroment, in some instances.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

For the most part it works pretty well but can become a real PITA between federal, state and county governments. Case in point, when this land was put into CRP the payment to the farmer was based on the value of the land and it's rental / income value. Since I bought it the price and value went up and the state and county raised the property taxes. Between that and liability insurance (someone ignores the no trespassing signs and gest hurt on the property) I'm barely breaking even. I *could* ask the feds to re-evaluate the payments but that starts the ten year cycle all over from the beginning and I'm not willing to do that.

I knew all that going in to the purchase and adjusted my offer to take it into account.

Had a big speal typed up, then thought I should just edit it to, "that sucks".

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I think that story is quite dated (2009?) Would like to know how that has panned out.

That's the nature of investment's long term and as mentioned the depth of wealth they have.

earnings_estimates.chart

Look from afar do you see a trend..and then a vision can you see the railroad's creating a new renaissance in transportation...rail lines being built across the country again...less pollution...less traffic...etc etc etc...And the cash flow to finance it...the oil feilds. Now when its done.... if it would get done imagine the value of that infrastruture and the legacy...It is staggering but as stated.. they play ball on a different feild.

The Men Who Built America — History.com TV Episodes, Schedule, & Video

Now thats strictly a opinion and your milage may vary.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Diversity is certainly in order at any time. I made more with my raw land investments over 20 years than I lost in the market in '07.

Exactly!.
My business is on land purchased (1990) with the right to subdivide, which today would net $300k plus I keep my home and 1 acre.
Just cashed in 3 Superannuation Funds, (over 65yrs). Over 19 years, the Capital Guaranteed Cash Investment one outshone the other 2. and most of my shares
Got a few shares and the ones with best dividends have grown the most lately. Had them for over 15yrs. Not convinced they were the best investment I ever made. Wouldn't do it again.
Best investment I ever made was free-holding the home I lived in, as quickly as possible. It is not a dumb idea.
Got 2 rentals, but always traded for rental income and not capital growth - which will come - and my beneficiaries will benefit from probably.
Youngest has a sizeable amount in a traditional savings account - just under 5% pa paid monthly. Down here, at the moment, it is not a stupid investment, and he can change instantly at no cost.

So yes, diversity is the way to go in my mind.

Cheers
Phillip

dwco5051

Commander

Isn't that what happened before, the trains were all after the oil transport business?

Last week South Dakota crude reached East Coast refineries for the first time. By rail. Maybe the old guy from Omaha hasn't lost his ability to see into the future.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Isn't that what happened before, the trains were all after the oil transport business?

Rail transportation in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What oil prior was avaible..or better said on the magnetude of oil that is being discovered.

Bakken formation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 2011, a senior manager at Continental Resources Inc. (CRI) declared that the "Bakken play in the Williston basin could become the world’s largest discovery in the last 30-40 years", as ultimate recovery from the overall play is now estimated at 24 billion bbls.[17] (Note : the recent discoveries off the coast of Brazil should be greater, with proven reserves of 30 billion,[18] and a potential for 50 to 80.[19]) This considerable increase has been made possible by the combined use of horizontal drilling, hydraulic fracturing, and a large number of wells drilled. While these technologies have been consistently in use since the 1980s, Bakken is the place where they are being most heavily used : 150 active rigs in the play and a rate of 1,800 added wells per year. CRI developed a technology allowing its rigs to move a few hundred yards on hydraulic "feet", increasing the rate of well drilling.[20]

An American Oil Find That Holds More Oil Than All of OPEC - ABC News

A recent report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office estimated that if half of the oil bound up in the rock of the Green River Formation could be recovered it would be "equal to the entire world's proven oil reserves."

U.S. Seaway crude oil pipeline reversed - UPI.com

HOUSTON, May 18 (UPI) -- The Seaway crude oil pipeline has been reversed so that it transports oil from Oklahoma to the southern U.S. coast, project companies announced.

Read more: U.S. Seaway crude oil pipeline reversed - UPI.com

In a first, gas and other fuels are top US export - Yahoo! News

NEW YORK (AP) — For the first time, the top export of the United States, the world's biggest gas guzzler, is — wait for it — fuel.

Ohh and the bottom line.....

U.S. News | National News - Latest Headlines, Videos, Photos - ABC News

Delivering oil thousands of miles by rail from the heartland to refineries on the East, West and Gulf coasts costs more, but it can mean increased profits — up to $10 or more a barrel — because of higher oil prices on the coasts. That works out to about $700,000 per train. Now just who own's that rail line....

Opps abc buried the blurb...not usa today....http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/12/30/trains-oil-boom-economy/1796505/

Gotta luv the net

As to Gates only he know's and Sorro's well George Sorro's....He's pretty good at crashing economy's google it and look around you.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

CRP is a very useful and convenient tool to regulate the production, and therefore the price, of crops as well as protecting the soil. Overproduction and crashed prices were considered a big threat in the 40s. The theory was based in the disastrous destruction of wheat land and wheat farmers at the beginning of the dust bowl.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Last week South Dakota crude reached East Coast refineries for the first time. By rail. Maybe the old guy from Omaha hasn't lost his ability to see into the future.

Very well said....now i could go really political here and crash this thread..so i will not....:behindsofa:

bigdee

Commander

If you are young and this is a 401 or IRA and you are contributing less than 10% of income just close your eyes and hold on. I have plenty of friends that have hurt themselves by getting worried and jumping the gun. Unless you are a billionaire,don't compare yourself to one.

Petty Officer 1st Class

sell,sell,sell....That way it will be cheaper for me to buy,buy,buy. :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If anyone would actually read the holdings of Berkshire Hathaway, you will find that they are constantly adjusting their holdings and there are many American companies that the fund is actually increasing their holdings in.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Indeed they are on the move..i really dont like to say anything is a good buy now but that dribble i posted above....Hint Hint..

tpenfield

Staff member

Back to the original question, Bubba . . . should you sell your US stocks, because "billionaires" are doing so ?

Sure.

sell,sell,sell....That way it will be cheaper for me to buy,buy,buy. :)

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Back to the original question, Bubba . . . should you sell your US stocks, because "billionaires" are doing so ?

Sure.

What stocks are the trilianaires dumping though??

rbh

Fleet Admiral

As for the rail VS pipeline equation, rail is the short term method for moving smaller quantities of liquid product to market.

This can be seen by the CPR wanting to move bituman oil to the west coast from the Alberta tar sands do to the fact that people in BC do not want a pipeline placed on the route to Kitamat BC, but now they are up in arms about the possible train derailment possibilitys.

You just may see that oil producers in the Dakotas,Utah ETC put a pipeline into Canada to link in with the already existing pipelines here that pump to the east coast.

Start a search to find out who is buying up large tracts of land or getting their easments in order.

treedancer

Commander

Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, John Paulson, George Soros are all dumping their US stocks and any stocks that rely on American consumers. Makes a guy wonder if he should be doing the same???

Noted author Robert Wiedemer (America's Bubble Economy) has released a new book called Aftershock and it's got those in the know paying very close attention to his predictions of where (American) stocks are headed. His track record on predicting future economic trends has been spot on and it's getting a lot of attention, at least enough it makes me pay attention.

To other's that own US stocks, do you have any plans to get rid of them?

The only time to dump(quality stocks) is if you think you can buy it back later at a lower price.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Its basically worthless for a small investor to time the market. If you are in a 401k, just continually funding it is the best thing you can do. Unless you are at the age that you need to start withdrawing, going through the lows actually helps your dollar cost averaging.