Bill Gates! Are you Whacked?

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bill Gates! Are you Whacked?

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> David L. Moore wrote;<br /><br />
And if, by some miracle, Mr Gates is correct and we don't have properly educated people to fill htese positions, that goes back to the governments failure to provide adequate education in the K-12 schools. And I don't want any right-wing crying about the "entitlement" attitude. Suck it up. Education is important for the survival of any great nation. And our education system sucks. Not our teachers, our education system.<br />
For this we agree.<br /><br />However, it is not entrely the systems fault, although I agree it is broken.<br /><br />I place allot of the fault on the American broken home.
AMEN!<br /><br />can I do that here? I won't get slammed about separation of church and internet? :)

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

In response to rudeafrican, I do not agree/disagree with what you wrote because I am not educated on the governmental legalities of the issue. However, I live in/near a resort area. About a decade ago the largest resort/hotel cried and whined that they could not find enough housekeepers. They claimed that they received insufficient applications. Funny thing is that there is rarely any help wanted ads in the newspaper for ANY of the motels/hotels in the area, same for the seasonal hiring increases. The truth came out but was never admitted, this resort simply did not want to pay the prevailing wage. They wanted to pay their wage.<br /><br />How does this fit into the guidelines of the wage requirement? They pay below area prevailing wage, hire in immigrant workers, provide housing (at a cost) for these workers, and profit by the lower wages they are allowed to pay.<br /><br />So in this issue I do have knowledge and disdain. Anyone who believes that the government doesn't have loopholes and other standards that allow big business to pay lower wages to immigrant workers is fooling themselves. Like any government program of this type, it was born of good intentions and for the benefit of the people, but simply allows abuse, not necessarily by deliberate design.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

The battle between business and labor is ongoing, and probably always will be so. But, at this point in time, I am personally feeling---and quite sharply, at that---the effects of labor getting pounded.<br /><br />I was once vehemently anti-union. Now I guess I should say I am suspicious of them and dislike their political meddling, but I am not all that repulsed by the concept of collective bargaining. It was a necessary thing at one time, historically speaking, and it may be again at some time in the future.<br /><br />I am disgusted by business's contention that there are not enough qualified Americans to fill these jobs, when the truth is there are not enough Americans interested in those jobs at the wages that business is offering. Business wants supply and demand to work FOR them when it's profitable for them, but they want to thwart market forces by importing more foreign labor when those forces favor American labor. And THAT, my friends, is BULL$***.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Tinkerer II

Cadet

Originally posted by dogsdad:<br /> The battle between business and labor is ongoing, and probably always will be so. But, at this point in time, I am personally feeling---and quite sharply, at that---the effects of labor getting pounded.<br /><br />I was once vehemently anti-union. Now I guess I should say I am suspicious of them and dislike their political meddling, but I am not all that repulsed by the concept of collective bargaining. It was a necessary thing at one time, historically speaking, and it may be again at some time in the future.<br /><br />I am disgusted by business's contention that there are not enough qualified Americans to fill these jobs, when the truth is there are not enough Americans interested in those jobs at the wages that business is offering. Business wants supply and demand to work FOR them when it's profitable for them, but they want to thwart market forces by importing more foreign labor when those forces favor American labor. And THAT, my friends, is BULL$***.<br /><br /><br />dogsdad, if this keeps up we're gonna end up drunk with our arms around each other singing labour union songs.<br /><br />The simple fact is that all governments in modern Western democracies are captives of domestic and international influences that are concerned with nothing but maximising profit by exploiting economic weaknesses. It's not a giant conspiracy, just the consequence of shareholders and investment analysts and superannuation funds and so on demanding maximum return on their dollar measured against short term, like 12 month, performance criteria.<br /><br />The quickest and easiest ways to improve corporate performance are to cut costs, and wages are the main component of costs in many industries. Whether it's done by slashing domestic wages or exporting jobs doesn't matter to corporations as long as the most profitable result is achieved.<br /><br />I just wish that there was someone above the CEO's and boards to apply the same ruthless blowtorch to their overpaid bellies. There's lots of people in Asia who'd run rings around these fat cats, but there doesn't seem to be any inclination to recruit them. Why would that be?<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Tinkerer II

Cadet

Originally posted by Tinkerer II:<br />
Originally posted by dogsdad:<br /> The battle between business and labor is ongoing, and probably always will be so. But, at this point in time, I am personally feeling---and quite sharply, at that---the effects of labor getting pounded.<br /><br />I was once vehemently anti-union. Now I guess I should say I am suspicious of them and dislike their political meddling, but I am not all that repulsed by the concept of collective bargaining. It was a necessary thing at one time, historically speaking, and it may be again at some time in the future.<br /><br />I am disgusted by business's contention that there are not enough qualified Americans to fill these jobs, when the truth is there are not enough Americans interested in those jobs at the wages that business is offering. Business wants supply and demand to work FOR them when it's profitable for them, but they want to thwart market forces by importing more foreign labor when those forces favor American labor. And THAT, my friends, is BULL$***.<br />-dd-
dogsdad, if this keeps up we're gonna end up drunk with our arms around each other singing labour union songs.<br /><br />The simple fact is that all governments in modern Western democracies are captives of domestic and international influences that are concerned with nothing but maximising profit by exploiting economic weaknesses. It's not a giant conspiracy, just the consequence of shareholders and investment analysts and superannuation funds and so on demanding maximum return on their dollar measured against short term, like 12 month, performance criteria.<br /><br />The quickest and easiest ways to improve corporate performance are to cut costs, and wages are the main component of costs in many industries. Whether it's done by slashing domestic wages or exporting jobs doesn't matter to corporations as long as the most profitable result is achieved.<br /><br />I just wish that there was someone above the CEO's and boards to apply the same ruthless blowtorch to their overpaid bellies. There's lots of people in Asia who'd run rings around these fat cats, but there doesn't seem to be any inclination to recruit them. Why would that be?