Bilge Question HELP Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

WishIKnew

Recruit
I just bought a 2007 Chaparral 236 SSX with 5.7 VP DP 320HP. I love the boat and took it out for the first trip this weekend. A few kinks with the boat to be worked out, but my question deals with the amount of water the bilge pumps out. After I cleaned the boat down the bilge expelled all the water (I keep the boat in a slip in the salt water) which was great. We hung around the dock for about an hour, then it went of again gettting rid of a good amount of water. I opened hatch and only a little standing water left behind and no obvious leaks. I went back to the dock on Sunday morning and it went off as soon as I stepped foot onto the dock (the boat was covered and there was no rain). I called the marina where the boat was originally bought and serviced and the woman told that this was probably normal, but I could bring it in to have it checked out. Is this normal???? It's driving me crazy, please help with any advise. Thanks!

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Bilge Question HELP Needed

It's not normal to have the bilge pump water if there has been no activity in the boat. You probably have a slow leak at a bellows/transom or other underwater fitting.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Could be normal, but we are missing some pieces I think . . .

Water can get into a boat in a variety of ways. Rain as you mentioned, swimmers in and out, spray and then there are leaks . . . if the water was getting in from any method eventually the level in the bilge will rise and the float switch will kick on the bilge pump. Some water takes a while to find it's way into the bilge and the level may rise to the point that the float switch kicks on the pump again after already being on even when there is no new water finding its way in. Then the pump works until the switch goes back down to a point below the auto on point. This cycle could happen a few times as water makes its way down from the deck, soaked carpet, cushions etc. There is always water left in the bilge below the kick on point for the bilge pump. When you step on, your weight can shift what water there is to a point that the switch kicks the pump on again.

Soooooo . . . what I think is missing is a period of time, with no boat movement that would indicate whether she is taking on water while at rest.

BTW, I know the boat and she does have a potential for a serious and possibly dangerous leak. I'll dig up a thread I posted as we almost sunk one . . . :eek:

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have had no activity and no rain I would say you have a leak somewhere. Go back and have them check it before it becomes a serious problem. Make sure your battery is in good condition too as you don't want the battery to go out and have the bilge not working.

WishIKnew

Recruit

So to fill in missing pieces: no activity for 18 hours, cover on, capets out, 2 tide changes...bilge went off as soon as we got to dock, not sure how often other than times I'm at dock.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'm still a little confused. I thought you said the "bilge" (bilge pump) went "off" (on) after you stepped on the boat? This is important although I do agree that you may have a leak, and I think I might know where it might be if there is any water getting onto your mega swim platform . . . ;) Still could be a bunch of places and more than one on almost any boat.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You have a leak, we have owned around 20 boats over the last 50 years and our bilges have always been dry except for rain.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

So to fill in missing pieces: no activity for 18 hours, cover on, capets out, 2 tide changes...bilge went off as soon as we got to dock, not sure how often other than times I'm at dock.

Boats don't just mysteriously fillup with water. Especially when it is just sitting idle at dock. Water can accumulate in the bilge at dock either from rain coming in if not fully covered, if you have AC running on your boat you might have a leak in your plumming, or you have a leak in your boat most likely in your transom area. Another possibility is that somebody is pouring water into your boat when you are not there but I highly doubt that. :) Either way water in a boat that is idle is not good. Get it check out ASAP.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I disagree ^^^^^ due to float switch and boat movement and soaked stuff as I mentioned. Otherwise I totally agree. Water accumulation at rest is NOT normal.

Annnnnnddddd . . . with a Chap and that type of swim platform with a molded in Ice chest BEWARE!!!! http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=326419&highlight=Chaparral

Disagree with who :)? Where did they say soaked stuff. I missed that.

Nice save on that link by the way.

QC

Supreme Mariner

My only disagreement is that water level in the bilge can rise after you leave the boat, even with no rain. The soaked stuff is speculation as I can't eliminate that as possible from the info given. This is especially true with a lot of swimmers in and out throughout the day.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

My only disagreement is that water level in the bilge can rise after you leave the boat, even with no rain. The soaked stuff is speculation as I can't eliminate that as possible from the info given. This is especially true with a lot of swimmers in and out throughout the day.

Gotcha. They didn't say they were any swimmers, but they didn't say there weren't either. :) Either way water doesn't magically appear. :)

jhawk351

Recruit

I disagree ^^^^^ due to float switch and boat movement and soaked stuff as I mentioned. Otherwise I totally agree. Water accumulation at rest is NOT normal.

Annnnnnddddd . . . with a Chap and that type of swim platform with a molded in Ice chest BEWARE!!!! http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=326419&highlight=Chaparral
This is a long shot since this post is old but I have a 2007 Chaparral that is having a water in the bilge issue and I believe it is related to the swim platform. That link that you posted doesn't lead to the correct thread anymore. If you have the title of the original thread I can search for or how to find the correct thread it would be very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.