Bilge pump

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a rinker 270 which has a bilge pump in the rear as well as another mid ship where the other thru hulls reside.
The mid ship functions normally.

On my helm I have a manual on off switch. There is not an automatic position, the floats are supposed to run the pumps if there is juice in the battery. At the helm, I have a series of breakers for various things, and I have two breakers marked front and rear bilge. Back in the rear where the battery switch is are a few more breakers, two of which are also labeled front and rear bilge.

As far as wiring, there is a black and a brown wire that go to the pump. In that same harness there are two sort of gray to me wires that go to two wires for the float. The switch at helm when turned on will start both the front and rear bilge. If I test the midship by turning the little knob it works- the rear one does not. I thought it was just a bad float so I picked one up and wired that in and nothing... I took the wires that go to the float and crossed them and the pump did not run...so I'm really stumped...I can run it manually but I can't leave it in the water without an auto bilge....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Black is ground. Brown is feed from helm switch

Does your pump have 2 wires or 3 wires feeding it?

rickasbury

Hey Scott, thanks for jumping in- both the pump and float only have two wires...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
then the switch on the dash should be feeding the brown wire. the black wire should go to the gound buss. the two wires from the float switch should go to the brown wire and the battery somewhere.

the float switch is simply connecting the brown wire to the battery. unless the float switch is bad.

rickasbury

then the switch on the dash should be feeding the brown wire. the black wire should go to the gound buss. the two wires from the float switch should go to the brown wire and the battery somewhere.

the float switch is simply connecting the brown wire to the battery. unless the float switch is bad.
Thanks. I'm going to pull that rear panel and check for power...maybe the connector has come off the breaker or something like that...crazy but it's a boat!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks. I'm going to pull that rear panel and check for power...maybe the connector has come off the breaker or something like that...crazy but it's a boat!
or your switch is bad