Bilge pump switch 1977 Silverline Comoro 17’

Danbuc

Recruit
My bilge pump is only working intermittently. When I hit the switch for it, the switch doesn’t light up. I have those orange translucent on/off switches. I drove the boat around for a while occasionally hitting the switch and after 10 min, it lit up and the bilge pump went on. I did’t dare turn it off until it finished pumping. Once it was done, I turned it off again. Then on. It lit up and then went out. Checked the fuses...they seem fine. Do the switches themselves go bad? If so, do you have a resource for ordering replacements? We are a couple months into boating season and this is a new problem.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

The light is internally powered by the voltage to the switch. As long as there is 12 volts, the light will turn on when the switch is flipped and does not indicate the pump is powered. Can you hear the pump when the switch is on regardless of the light on or off?

Next time the light doesn't turn on, check for 12 volts feeding the switch. Sounds like the power to the switch is intermittent.

Also find and fix the leak. Don't rely on a working bilge pump to keep your head above water and the crew safe.

Danbuc

Recruit
GA_Boater when the light is on, it works and makes the bilge pump whine. When the light is off, it doesn’t work and no whine. Heavy rain this week. The boat is pretty tight.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Check the power to the switch and the connection to the switch.

Is the boat trailered when not in use? If yes then use the trailer jack to raise the bow as high as possible and pull the transom plug so rain doesn't accumulate. Also consider using a cover when not using the boat, either trailered or slipped.