bilge pump quit

Glenn Iverson

Seaman Apprentice
About 2 weeks ago my bilge pump just stopped working in my 87 Starcraft Select 191S.
It's a bilge pump wired to a float switch. When I flick the 2 way switch (manual & auto) nothing happens except that the circuit breaker clicks off after about 10 seconds which indicates either a short somewhere in the wiring or the pump has an obstruction or is shot. Unfortunately the pump & switch is located under my 5.7 V8 where I cannot access it let alone barely see it. Also I cannot see the wiring or trace it beyond the positive connection from the float switch to the battery.I sure dont want to pull the engine. If it is in fact an obstruction I was considering blowing air or water into the exit of the bilge hose to hopefully free it up. Any other ideas or troubleshooting techniques to try before I actually try to replace it?

alldodge

Staff member
Either pull the motor

or

Get a new pump and float switch, also a 2 to 3 inch wide iece of aluminum flat stock. Mount the pump and float to the flat stock and bend aluminum so it all slides under the motor and lies flat against the hull. Cut old wiring loose and connect new wire

Fasten the flat stock to the stringer

Last edited: