Bilge pump question

Soreal53

Seaman
a 1994 Volvo penta sx and my problem I have Is the bilge pump burned out last weekend and I did not notice it stopped working until I pulled the boat out and unscrewed the plug and noticed all the water coming out ( more then usual). Went home and pulled the float up and nothing happened. Today i cut every thing out and noticed the pump and float were connected straight to the battery post. I smelled the pump and it smells burned. I also have a switch on the console the says bilge but never worked cause it was straight to battery. On the switch I have 3 wires coming out, 1 orange to the fuse box and the 2 wires (brown, black/red) going to where the bilge pump was located. I'm buying a new pump and curious on how to wire it with those 2 wires that are laying in the bilge. Buying one with float. Plus does the switch need to be on for good now or what does the switch really do?
Thanks for any help...

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Bilge pump question

Your boat was wired for a pump with a float switch, either integrated or separate. You have switch positions for "manual" (direct to the pump) and "automatic" (through float switch), and possibly "off" in the middle. Your new pump will have instructions for the three wires it will have.