Bilge cleaning

Zeker

Cadet
I have a 16' inboard run-about that has engine oil spots in the bilge. I think the previous owner spilled the contents of the oil filter into the tight bilge. I don't particularly want to use toxic cleaners since I must stick my face down into the bilge while cleaning it. I have tried WD40 and degreaser hand cleaners with only limited success. Any suggestions on stuff that won't make me gag?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Bilge cleaning

Orange degreaser followed by Dawn dishwashing liquid. If really bad, repaint with Bilge White paint for a clean look.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

there is a bilge cleaner that you can buy from any marine store.......the stuff works like magic,,,,,,just pour it in the bilge......go boating......the gentle splashing of the fluid in the bilge will make it sparkley clean again......then just pull the plug and let it drain.......the cleaner is bio degradable....so its ok in the storm drain. however....to be politically correct.......collect the contents of the bilge and dispose of it at any auto mechanical shop.

mr-steve-jones

Seaman Apprentice

I always use my wife's Biological washing powder for oil stains..

Mix into a paint like paste and leave it for an hour. Cant promise it will work, but it pulls the oil out of my paved drive, so may work for your stains?

The little blue flecks eat the oil, then pressure wash it away.

zerobalance

Cadet

Clean wit dawn, and paint for that sparkling look. i used kills exterior on mine. it covers almost anything and holds as good as any expensive marine products.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Joy is the best of the best for over the counter products cuttin grease :) ..

Recover your oil/sludge with an oil absorbant towl that will not take on water.. only oil ..

YD.

Zeker

Cadet

Many thanks for your info. I am familiar with Dawn and will give it a try. This dish water detergent has been used successfully for years as a degreaser for oiled ducks and other birds at the U.C Davis Bird Rescue Center.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

BTW, having a clean bilge makes working on the boat/bilge that much better. Mine is far from sparkling and spotless, but I did spend some time in there cleaning it up and actually don't mind opening the hatches when I need to.

Seeing an older boat with a clean bilge is something I actually enjoy.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

We had the same issue - CAREFULLY used a powerwasher and it came sparkling clean - no soap or chemicals.