Bilge Blower replacment

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but here it goes. I am in the process of replacing 1 of the 2 blowers in our new to us 1990 Sea Ray 310 sundancer. Both were working but 1 makes a horrible screeching when turned on. Before removal I ran them and noticed that 1 draws air out of the bilge and the other (the one I'm replacing) draws fresh outside air in. Is this correct? The out blower has a tube going down low in the bilge (tube needs to be replaced also) as I would expect. The in blower had no tubing after it in the direction of air flow. It looks like there may have one been a tube also going low into the bilge. With safety be very important I want to put this back the way it should be.

Note the blowers are not easy to get at but with the exhaust off at the moment now is the time to get this back to the way it needs to be.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Mike

alldodge

Staff member
Many just have one which draws air out of the bilge. Having 2, one in and other out would be good. Gas fumes are heavier then air so the one going out should be low

mr300z87

Thanks AD always nice to hear from you. My 250 only had 1 but it was much smaller. So I will put it back the way I found it. Just not sure if the in coming should be extended low or not. I posted on Sea Ray forum also.

mr300z87

FYI I Found this on Boat US web site.
"The best plan is usually to have two blowers, one to blow air out and the other to suck outside air into the engine space. However great care must be taken that the outside air intake is free of CO and other fumes."

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks AD always nice to hear from you. My 250 only had 1 but it was much smaller. So I will put it back the way I found it. Just not sure if the in coming should be extended low or not. I posted on Sea Ray forum also.
Would say in coming higher

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
From Chapman's
Bilge ventilation from Chapman's.jpg
on my boat the directional vents on the gunnels were facing the wrong way so I switched them around so that they will work as in the above set up. the one connected to the blower facing aft, the one bringing in fresh air, facing fwd.
and if you don't have one, get a gas vapor fume detector

mr300z87

Thanks for the replies. There is fume detection system and it seems to function. We bought the boat mid November and it was only in the water a couple of days before she was hauled out. I'm still playing and learning all her systems. By season end I will lknow ever inch of her. Anybody want a Lowrance radar from 1990??