bigger means better?

CNT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You guys have good eyes.
INDEED

I really apperiate the comments, straightforward replies. Let me digest the information. :thumb:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
same reason a lightbulb lasts exactly 1500 hours (when they can be manufactured to last centuries)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If you buy a furnace for your HOME with a 10 year warranty, maybe you should consider upgrading and get a quality unit. The difference isn't that much more. Google "cost effective".

A quality light bulb CAN last years and years. The problem is you keep turning it on and off. Google "continuous service". Of course, if you keep it on the electrical costs outweigh the cost of the bulb. So, you have to decide if you want cheap, or putting up with the hassle of periodically changing bulbs.

thatone123

Banned
In general I think smaller is always better especially after you get tired of "messing around in small boats" and you come to the conclusion that the smaller the better. I've had some beautiful simple small boats and larger ones too. I noticed that the big boat guys often stopped to look at them and would make comments like "That's the way to go"....

CNT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Actually, I have come to a spot or range at looking at boats that are in 16' to 18', maybe 19', and in year of 1990-2010. That is by looking at internet. I am starting to find more boats that have similar floor layout with original beloved Tracker. That is fishing boats. But, with my wife, she is still rather looking at speed boats, since they look like boats to her. I think a fishing boat makes her feel like "utility" boat.

I am interested in learning how boats are designed and determined concerning the yellow capacity label. Like length, material, tiller/helm, hull, etc. Is there a website or something that manufacture go "by the book" or what are the factors?

Good thing that we (me and the wife) are not in hurry and are in good mood working together. If she more prevail at a boat she likes, I still can get another one more of a fishing boat as well. All in a good time.

CNT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
stay away from any OMC powered boats

get a Mercruiser engine

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/d/twin-lakes-22-sea-ray-open-bow-with/7042399881.html

Well, now this one is a 22', but at least with a 350cc Mercruiser. It's a Sea Ray and under $5,000.

There's actually another boat I am thinking about...

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/d/fort-atkinson-1989-sea-ray-180-open-bow/7031859441.html

It's also a Sea Ray, only $1,800. The motor (couldn't make out the brand, and it's got stainless steel prop) can be fixed. I am concern about his statement "soft spots". Also, the cushion is mismatch (looks like some replaced along the way).

still looking...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the 1989 is a complete waste of time. the floor is rotten, so that means the transom is rotten, etc. plus, its a 31 year old boat. unless you want a project to dump $3500 into, I would look at boats that are under 15 years old if your looking at fiberglass

the 1992 is a bit high considering its 28 years old. However if it was completely rot free (would need to seriously look, as it is past its "sell by date too). it may be worth the 4.8 BOAT units. the upholstery is past starting to show its age, hence the mis-matched vinyl. this boat will also be a gamble as you may be buying a boat you need to sink about $3500 into

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Soft spots in the floor, that means everything below is on its way out. The floor is the last thing to Rot. Plan on removing the floor, replacing the stringers, and transom.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well, we all have an opinion. The best opinions are from those that have some real world experience for years and years.

Sure, out of business, so parts are a problem. But quality? Haha. OMC always was the best at whatever they did until the Evinrude family died out and bizness people took over. Back in the day I'd take a stringer drive every day.

Bigger = better? Yeah another opinion. We went thru the 2 footitis for years. Looking back the little guys were where we had the most fun and in the end we downsized and went back to an outboard. Gotta love 4-strokers.

That's MY opinion...

I'll agree with all that but the parts might be a bit trying. Spent our time going from 18' to 25' to 28' to 40' then the kids were gone now we go from 40' to 33' now at 27' but it's a 2002 and wellcraft went out(at lest the original Co.) and it takes some work to find parts

CNT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you ever buy a boat or are you still shopping?

Should I be embarrassed? LOL It's still "winter" in Wisconsin (even no snow). We had some things needing to catch up, like new floor in kitchen (I did the whole kitchen with new cabinets and countertop). Been paying off some credit cards (ones with no interest), etc. Now, just happen that I am considering buying a car (I like to have a backup vehicle). My battery just went shot on Christmas Day, so today just replaced the battery. So, yeah, I am still shopping.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
No need to be embarrassed at all. I shopped for my boat for 40 years before I finally pulled the trigger. Yep, 40 years. There was always something that came up like new flooring, kitchen cabs, new car, stuff. Finally the woman of my dreams said enuf is enuf and bought me the StarCraft Superfisherman 190. What a doll.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
No need to be embarrassed at all. I shopped for my boat for 40 years before I finally pulled the trigger. Yep, 40 years. There was always something that came up like new flooring, kitchen cabs, new car, stuff. Finally the woman of my dreams said enuf is enuf and bought me the StarCraft Superfisherman 190. What a doll.

Years ago there was a young family that had a boat. They took their 2 kids out in it every weekend. It was quite a family thing.

One Winter the wife said she wanted a kitchen upgrade, so they got quotes and decided to do it the next Summer. When the job was to start they found that the boat trailer wouldn't pass inspection, so they had to buy a new one. The kitchen was postponed.

The next year the boat engine needed to be replaced. That postponed the kitchen for 2 more years.

As the years went by, it was one thing or another. But....., the kids grew up to be honest responsible adults.

Finally, the two decided they were too old to handle the boat any more, and they found out that selling it would give them enough money for the new kitchen. That Spring their son got a job transfer and he and his family and 2 children moved back to town. They stopped over to see Mom & Dad and saw the boat on the lawn with a for sale sign on it. The son commented about what a wonderful family life they had growing up with the boat.

Mom looked at Dad, smiled and they both shook their heads in approval.

Dad went and got the titles and keys and said: "Here son, the boat is yours". Mom said: "Oh heck, what do I need a new kitchen for anyway".

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Excellent JimS123. That wouldn't be your story would it Jim? My wife got her "stuff" and I got a new wife.

No it isn't but I did know the family personally.

MY story is that I built my first boat as a teenager and never had a girlfriend that really warmed up to boating. Then I met a cutie at a wedding and had our first date in the boat (a picnic on Strawberry Island as a matter of fact). Her Dad and Grandpa had boats so she was a natural.

45 years and many boats later she is the best first mate anybody could ever have. When I saw a new boat I wanted, her attitude was always lets go buy it.

Two years ago she decided a new kitchen was in order, and she got exactly what she wanted. A month later I put in the order for my retirement fishing boat.

Having a Keeper is even better than having a boat.

amcic1994

Recruit
I would say that boat with the 90 Mercury needs the transom rebuilt.------Ask the seller about those 2 braces for the transom.-----Still a good deal if motor starts and runs.-----Motor is a 1984 / 85 model.----A good deal if your are that " handyman " that is mentioned.

Bigger means Better... Funny as it sound, the "American Way."