Bigger fuel tank possibilities?

sbulla

Seaman
As I use my Tracker Tournament V17 more and more. I am starting to wish I had more than the 6gal fuel capacity it came with. There's not room for another 6gal tank in there but, there is some extra room. As a matter of fact, I found this tank online...

discountmarinesupplies.com/product.cgi?group=71409&product=82176
...and it's measurements would just fit the area I have open for a tank. Is this a viable alternative for this type of boat? Any other suggestions?

I really don't want to carry an extra tank just sitting out in the boat in the open.

Thanks,
Sonny

Last edited by a moderator:

studlymandingo

Commander
Gassin' Up

Gassin' Up

If you have the space for it , that would be a fine alternative to the 6 gallon.​

sbulla

Seaman
Re: Gassin' Up

Re: Gassin' Up

If you have the space for it , that would be a fine alternative to the 6 gallon.​

Upon further research, I've found that this tank's fill neck is designed for installing a hose to an external fill fitting. If fitted into my fuel/battery compartment, the fill neck would be within about 1" of the access hatch when closed.

BTW, the dimensions of my available space are: 22.5"LX15"WX15"H

Do you suppose there is a safe way to fashion a plug or cap to fit securely on the neck and just use it as the fill since it has another source for vent?

I really like the design of this tank, especially with it coming with a sending unit so, I'm searching for ways to make it work.

Overton's has one too...

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...e=Below-Deck-Gas-Tanks&r=view&i=39523&aID=21C

Sonny

studlymandingo

Commander
Fill 'er up son!

Fill 'er up son!

Depending on where the neck is, you could probably take some filler hose and attach it; then get a flush filler cap and mount it on the hatch.​

Is there a way to route the filler hose to a deck fill on the gunwale somewhere? This would probably be the most convenient way to fill up.

The tank you are referring to, does the filler come straight up out of the tank, or does it come out at a 90 degree angle?​

sbulla

Seaman
Re: Fill 'er up son!

Re: Fill 'er up son!

Depending on where the neck is, you could probably take some filler hose and attach it; then get a flush filler cap and mount it on the hatch.​

Is there a way to route the filler hose to a deck fill on the gunwale somewhere? This would probably be the most convenient way to fill up.

The tank you are referring to, does the filler come straight up out of the tank, or does it come out at a 90 degree angle?​

The filler neck is straight up and, if my measurements are correct, I would only have about an inch above it's opening to the hatch and I open that hatch often (the batts are in there) and there's no way to route a hose off to the side putting such a severe bend in it with that little space.

I thought of just using some filler hose, making a plug for one end of it, and clamping it on the neck. I would just need a screwdriver for the hose clamp everytime I filled up. Sound like a plan? ;-)

Sonny