Big scrape?

carpenterken

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A friends boat has the gel coat scraped off, can he re spray, sand, and polish it? He says there is no damage to the glass, and no sign of water intrusion. I have never done this, but he is a good with his hands. Is it worth attempting himself?
Who is a good supplier for what we need?
Thank You very much.
100_1733.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Big scrape?

A little perspective needed. How far down the hull does this SCRAPE go? From the Pic it appears that the Gelcoat is pretty thin in a LOT of places other than the SCRAPE and there are a LOT of smaller scratches and gouges. There are a LOT of repairs needed for this hull IMHO. Will the hull be FLIPPED for the repairs or done laying on your Back? It makes a BIG difference!!!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

A friends boat has the gel coat scraped off, can he re spray, sand, and polish it? He says there is no damage to the glass, and no sign of water intrusion. I have never done this, but he is a good with his hands. Is it worth attempting himself?
Who is a good supplier for what we need?
Thank You very much.
100_1733.jpg

Yes and Yes..

Supplier..erm..I dont know were your from..you didnt put that in your local .. but if its in the great lakes area as your image attachy shows..then there are ALOT .. I would myself dust off that yellow thing called a phone book and starts my researches for products there. Or Call the manufacturer of friends boat ( because we dont know it at this point ) and ask them if they can send you some gel..

As far as asking How to spray gel.. there is a plethora of info on how to and how nots here on Iboats..Im not going to do go into that .. Again....

YD..

no mo beggen

Recruit

thks guys for the info this is my boat. it will be repaired laying on my back. the area is about 3ft. long and about 3 inches wide along with some scratches around the same area that isnt as bad. the boat is located in allegan mi. south of grand rapids