BF30 no start

Campo1114

Cadet
So the motor won’t fire unless I raise the diaphragm lever on the throttle rod linkage and I have to play with that up and down to keep it at idle the dashpot check valve is good pull the top tube off check valve and it raises is this a vacuum loss for actuating the diaphragm IMG_0161.pngIMG_0157.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0164.png
    IMG_0164.png
    3 MB · Views: 1

ahicks

Captain
If the dash pot had anything to do with your starting/idling issues it would be unusual. It's main function is to keep the motor from dying when the throttle is returned to idle quickly.

FAR more likely is the carbs are due for a good cleaning. If they've been cleaned just recently, trust me, it would not be the first time that somebody had to re-do them twice to find the issue.

Campo1114

Cadet
If the dash pot had anything to do with your starting/idling issues it would be unusual. It's main function is to keep the motor from dying when the throttle is returned to idle quickly.

FAR more likely is the carbs are due for a good cleaning. If they've been cleaned just recently, trust me, it would not be the first time that somebody had to re-do them twice to find the issue.
I did just clean the carbs replaced plugs changed fuel filter verified fuel and water pump are good checked intake and exhaust valve gaps all good fresh gas checked fuel tank filter and cap vent everything is checking out which I’m thinking your right about the carbs I should of flushed the fuel lines I’ll give that a second go-a-round thank you

ahicks

Captain
Pay particular attention to the tiny idle jet that lives in the bore of the brass tube that goes from the top to the bottom of the carb. You should be able to see through the length of that tube.....

Campo1114

Cadet
Just wondering if the slow jet is instrumental in idle

ok so I cleaned the carbs again super thoroughly and now it starts with the key but runs really rough but doesn’t die out if I give it gas it boogs down if I rev it like a motorcycle I can get up to a higher rpm and run shifts into gear at idle ok can’t adjust the idle screw has some stopper on it only moves 1/4 turn and really does nothing for the idle speed any ideas are appreciated

Campo1114

Cadet
Well that might be my issue couldn’t see through it tried running a pipe cleaner through it and it felt like it bottomed out was able to blow through it but not see light is it hollow the whole way through it should I force something through it to clear it or does it shoulder down to a pin hole

ahicks

Captain
Well that might be my issue couldn’t see through it tried running a pipe cleaner through it and it felt like it bottomed out was able to blow through it but not see light is it hollow the whole way through it should I force something through it to clear it or does it shoulder down to a pin hole
A pipe cleaner is WAY WAY to big! Think more along the lines of a single strand pulled from a small parts cleaning wire brush..... not much bigger than a whisker hair.....

ahicks

Captain
Just wondering if the slow jet is instrumental in idle

ok so I cleaned the carbs again super thoroughly and now it starts with the key but runs really rough but doesn’t die out if I give it gas it boogs down if I rev it like a motorcycle I can get up to a higher rpm and run shifts into gear at idle ok can’t adjust the idle screw has some stopper on it only moves 1/4 turn and really does nothing for the idle speed any ideas are appreciated
One of the EPA's better ideas.....

Those will come off, but if you've never done one before there's about a 75% chance you'll break it trying. That's a double damn as not only will you need to order replacements, you'll have to get what's left of the needle out of the way to replace it. My advice would be to see how it runs after cleaning the idle jets, and make your decision on how to proceed from there.....

The screw has nothing to do with idle speed. It's about idle mixture. They generally run from 2.5 to 3 turns out.

Last, I've done hundreds of these Honda carbs, and though I'm MUCH better at it now than when I started, I STILL manage to have to go back in for a chunk of dirt I missed. That idle circuit has to be spotless to run right...

Campo1114

Cadet
Thank you so much for your help first and foremost got it to run and idle pretty good but not satisfied as there is a little hesitation when I give it gas it doesn’t die but I still think I’ve got to get in there again with a tiny wire maybe some guitar string and get through that tube probably this weekend