Beware of Shorelander/Midwest Industries Trailers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
I purchased a new 2017 Shorelander trailer for my Searay 205 in 2017. The trailer was still on manufactures certificate of origin. First issue was they over torqued the lug nuts which forced the conical section of the lug nut to get compressed in the wheel and very difficult to remove as it was pinching the threads. No problem installed new lug nuts on my dollar. Second issue is they bent the cotter pin over the end of the spindles which machined the back side of the bearing buddy zerk fittings off. No problem cleaned out the contaminated grease and installed correctly with new bearing buddies (my dollar again). THIRD ISSUE WAS UNACCEPTABLE. I HAD A TIRE DEVELOP A HUGE BULGE. UPON INVESTIGATION I FOUND SHORELANDER INSTALLED 2013 TIRES ON MY NEW 2017 TRAILER!!!!!!!!. So make sure you check the dates on your trailer tires don't assume they were manufactured the same year as your trailer. I sent details to Shorelander/Midwest and received zero response.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its 2020 and you are posting about an issue you had in 2017? you are outside the warranty period. I suppose you will be upset when you find the motor in your 2017 boat was most likely made in 2015?

BTW, the dealer or searay is the ones that install the tires. trailers are shipped without the tires installed stacked on a flat-bed. and the wheels/tires come in another shipment. check with your dealer if they paired the two together, or did it come on the trailer from SeaRay

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
Very common problem in the travel trailer industry.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
All I ever owned is Shoreland'r, same with rest of the family. They make a great product. I think you're a little late to the party complaining 3yrs later. Of course you're not going to hear from Shoreland'r since your warranty long expired. They have no idea what you've done after the warranty lapsed...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FWIW, I have had 2 Shoreland'r trailers over the years, all second hand, and they were spectacular in getting me parts lists, shipping weights, etc.

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
Hey ding dongs. I had a tire last week about to explode due to belts breaking allowing a huge bulge to form in 2020. If Shorelander wouldn't have used 3 year old trailer tires on a NEW trailer in 2017 it wouldn't have bulged/blown out last week. In other words my Shorelander trailer which is a 2017 has SIX YEAR OLD TIRES ON IT today from Shorelander. A 2017 trailer should have at most 4 year old tires in 2020. For people who buy a new trailer in excess of $3,500 I recommend you check the date on the tires before leaving the dealership. Shorelander still doesn't use sure lube axles, unreal.

So anyone saying Shorelander did good installing 3 year old tires on a new trailer you are as much of the problem as they are.

Trailer isn't out of warranty, frame is 5 years, so get your facts right. Carlisle tires warranted for two years.

Last edited:

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Hey ding dongs. I had a tire last week about to explode due to belts breaking allowing a huge bulge to form in 2020. If Shorelander wouldn't have used 3 year old trailer tires on a NEW trailer in 2017 it wouldn't have bulged/blown out last week. In other words my Shorelander trailer which is a 2017 has SIX YEAR OLD TIRES ON IT today from Shorelander. A 2017 trailer should have at most 4 year old tires in 2020. For people who buy a new trailer in excess of $3,500 I recommend you check the date on the tires before leaving the dealership. Shorelander still doesn't use sure lube axles, unreal.

So anyone saying Shorelander did good installing 3 year old tires on a new trailer you are as much of the problem as they are.

Trailer isn't out of warranty, frame is 5 years, so get your facts right. Carlisle tires warranted for two years.
Who are you calling ding dongs ? You‘re the one who doesn’t check your tires age or what kind of axles are on it before you plunk down in excess of $3500? puff your chest back down...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Since some of us are casting aspersions, this thread shall be closed.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I locked this thread up. Ding dongs, really. Don't coming crying on this forum when your trailer is still under warranty, although your tires are not, go talk to your dealer. Just because you had a bad experience doesn't make Shoreland'r a bad manufacturer.

Since you seem to know it all, deal with it. And change the attitude....

Status
Not open for further replies.